Pillar / Cluster
Engineering Product Development , Engineering Systems and Design (Affiliated)
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- PhD (Engineering Systems, 2010); SM (Technology & Policy, 2006)
- Tsinghua University
- MS (Automotive Engineering, 2004); BE (Thermal Engineering, 2001)
- Innovation and Entrepreneurship
- Systems Engineering
- Product and System Design
- Data-Driven Design
- Technology Network Analysis and Visualization
- Entrepreneurship (Undergrad, SUTD)
- Entrepreneurship (Undergrad, NYU) –>>
- Entrepreneurship (Graduate, NYU) –>>
- High-Tech Entrepreneurship (Executive, NYU) –>>
- Managing Technological Change and Innovation (Graduate, NYU)
- Introduction to Design (Undergrad, SUTD) –>>
- Modelling a Systems World (Undergrad, SUTD)
- “Reviewers’ Favourite” Paper Award, 21th International Conference on Engineering Design, Milan, 2015
- “Reviewers’ Favourite” Paper Award, 19th International Conference on Engineering Design, Seoul, 2013
- “Editor’s Choice“, Industrial and Corporate Change, 2012
- Best Dissertation Award (Runner-Up), INFORMS Technology, Innovation Management and Entrepreneurship Section, 2011
- Best Paper Award (2nd Place), Annual Conference of Chinese Scholars Association in Management Science & Engineering, 2010
- Alfred A.H. Keil Fellowship for Wiser Uses of Science and Technology, 2004
- China International Marine Containers (Group) Scholarship, 2003
- Mercedes-Benz Scholarship, 2002
- Ministry of Education (Singapore) Academic Research Fund (AcRF) Tier 2
- SUTD-MIT International Design Centre
- National Collegiate Inventors and Innovators Alliance (USA)
- International Motor Vehicle Program (USA)
Research Group Members
- Dr. Jeffrey Alstott, MIT-SUTD Postdoc Fellow (PhD in Network Analysis, University of Cambridge, UK)
- Dr. Giorgio Triulzi, Postdoc Fellow (Ph.D. in Innovation Economics, University of Maastricht, Netherland)
- Dr. Bowen Yan, Postdoc Fellow (PhD in Computer Science, University of Bristol, UK)
- Dr. Chaoyang Song, Postdoc Fellow (PhD in Mechanical Engineering, NTU)
- Bingyang Song, PhD Student (B.S. and M.S. in Automotive Engineering, Tsinghua University)
- Yuejun He, PhD Student (B.S. in Information & Communication Engineering, Zhejiang University)
- Bangqi Yin, MIT-SUTD Dual Masters Student (B.S. in Electrical & Electronics Engineering, NTU)
- Manuj Dhariwal, MIT-SUTD Dual Masters Student (Bachelor of Design in Human Computer Interaction, Indian Institute of Technology, Guwahati; Founder of MadRat Games)
- Chaoyang Song, Jianxi Luo, Katja Otto, Warren Seering, Kevin Otto. 2015. Risk and innovation balance in crowdfunding new products. Proceedings of 21th International Conference on Engineering Design. Reviewer’s Favourite Award.
- Jianxi Luo. 2015. The united innovation process: integrating science, design and entrepreneurship as sub-processes, Design Science. forthcoming, [Read]
- Jeffrey Funk, Jianxi Luo. 2015. Vertical disintegration and entrepreneurial opportunities: how vertically specialised firms entered the U.S. semiconductor industry, Technovaiton, [Read]
- Jianxi Luo, Alison L. Olechowski, Christopher L. Magee. 2014. Technology-based design and sustainable economic growth. Technovation, 34(11), 663-677. [Read]
- Jianxi Luo. 2014. Loops and autonomy promote evolvability of ecosystem networks. Scientific Reports, 4: 6440. [Read].
- Victor Tang, Jianxi Luo. 2013. Idea matrix and creativity operators. Proceedings of 19th International Conference on Engineering Design. [abstract]
- Katja Hölttä-Otto, Kevin Otto, Jianxi Luo. 2013. Innovation differences between new ventures and incumbent firms. Proceedings of 19th International Conference on Engineering Design. Reviewer’s Favourite Award. [Read]
- Jianxi Luo. 2013. Power-of-pull of economic sectors: A complex network analysis. Complexity, 18(5), 37–47.
- Jianxi Luo, Carliss Y. Baldwin, Daniel E. Whitney, Christopher L. Magee. 2012. The architecture of transaction networks: A comparative analysis of hierarchy in two sectors. Industrial and Corporate Change. 21(6), 1307-1335. Editor’s Choice. [Read]
- Jianxi Luo and Christopher L. Magee. 2011. Detecting evolving patterns of self-organizing networks by flow hierarchy measurement. Complexity, 16(6), 53-61. [Read]
- Matthias Holweg, Jianxi Luo, Nick Oliver. 2009. The past, present and future of China’s automotive industry: A value chain perspective. Int’lJournal of Technological Learning, Innovation and Development, 2(1/2), 76-118.
- James Winebrake, Sandra Rothenberg, Jianxi Luo, Erin Green. 2008. Automotive transportation in China: Technology, policy, market dynamics, and sustainability. Int’l Journal of Sustainable Transportation, 2(4), 213-233.
Early Mechanical and Automotive Engineering Publications
- Yangjun Zhang, Minggao Ouyang, Qingchun Lu, Jianxi Luo, Xihao Li. 2004. A model predicting performance of proton exchange membrane fuel cell stack thermal systems, Applied Thermal Engineering, 24(4), 501~513.
- Yangjun Zhang, Minggao Ouyang, Jianxi Luo, Zhao Zhang, Yongjun Wang. 2003. Mathematical modeling of vehicle fuel cell power system thermal management. SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1146, doi:10.4271/2003-01-114.
- Jianxi Luo, Yangjun Zhang. 2004. Influences of thermostat on engine thermal system transient performance, Journal of Tsinghua Science and Technology, 44(5), 701~704.
- Jianxi Luo, Yangjun Zhang, Baoning Zhang. 2003. Numerical simulation of separated flow via 2d hybrid grid technique, Power Engineering, 23(1): 2240~2244.
- Jianxi Luo, Zhangsong Zhan, Yangjun Zhang. 2003. Numerical investigation on complex flow field under vehicle, Automotive Engineering, 25(4), 330~334
- Jianxi Luo, Yangjun Zhang, Shangrong Tu. 2003. Thermal management system design for fuel cell engine experiments, Vehicle Engine, 2003(4), 32~34.
- Baoning Zhang, Yangjun Zhang, Qingguo Meng, Jianxi Luo. 2002. Criterion of three-dimensional flow separation with rotation effects, Journal of Tsinghua Science and Technology, 42(2), 254~257.
- Jianxi Luo was born in Chongqing, China, and holds degrees in mechanical engineering from Tsinghua University in Beijing and engineering systems from MIT. He is currently an assistant professor of engineering product development at Singapore University of Technology and Design (SUTD). Prof. Luo has a strong passion for design, innovation and entrepreneurship in research, teaching and practice. His research applies system theories and network analysis methods to designing products, processes and ecosystems for better chances of innovation. Recent research focuses on developing scientific principles and a data-driven decision support system for concept generation and direction-finding for innovation. He teaches courses on “entrepreneurship”, “innovation”, and “design”, to undergraduate, graduate and executive students from diverse backgrounds. In practice, he was a (co-)founder of several start-ups in the United States. Prior to joining SUTD, he was a faculty member at the school of engineering of New York University. He is currently the chair-elect of the Technology, Innovation Management and Entrepreneurship Section of INFORMS.