Pillar / Cluster
Engineering Systems and Design, Engineering Product Development
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology, PhD (ESD), SM (TPP).
- Tsinghua University, BS (DTE), MS (DAE).
- Innovation and Entrepreneurship
- Product and System Design
- Data-Driven Design
- Systems Engineering
- Complex Systems, Network Analysis
- Entrepreneurship (Undergrad, SUTD)
- Entrepreneurship (Undergrad, NYU)
- Entrepreneurship (Graduate, NYU)
- High-Tech Entrepreneurship (Executive, NYU)
- Managing Technological Change and Innovation (Graduate, NYU)
- Introduction to Design (Undergrad, SUTD)
- Modelling a Systems World (Undergrad, SUTD)
- “Reviewers’ Favourite” Paper Award, 19th International Conference on Engineering Design, 2013
- Best Dissertation Award, Runner-Up, INFORMS Technology, Innovation Management and Entrepreneurship Section, 2011
- Best Paper Award, 2nd Place, Annual Conference of Chinese Scholars Association in Management Science & Engineering, 2010
- Alfred A.H. Keil Fellowship for Wiser Uses of Science and Technology, 2004
- China International Marine Containers (Group) Scholarship, 2003
- Mercedes-Benz Scholarship, 2002
- Ministry of Education (Singapore) Academic Research Fund (AcRF) Tier 2
- SUTD-MIT International Design Centre
- National Collegiate Inventors and Innovators Alliance (USA)
- International Motor Vehicle Program (USA)
- Jianxi Luo. A simulation-based method to evaluate the impact of product architecture on product evolvability. Submitted.
- Jianxi Luo. Network structure and evolvability of innovation ecosystems. DRUID 2014. [Read]
- Wei Zhang, Jianxi Luo, Steven White. Global entrepreneurship and the origin of an ecosystem root firm: The case of China’s solar photovoltaic industry. DRUID 2014. [Read]
- Jianxi Luo. Feeding loops and autonomy promote evolvability of ecological networks. Scientific Reports. revision and resubmission
- Daniel E. Whitney, Jianxi Luo, Daniel A. Heller. 2014. The benefits and constraints of temporary sourcing diversification in supply chain disruption and recovery. Journal of Purchasing & Supply Management. Forthcoming. [Read]
- Jianxi Luo, Alison L. Olechowski, Christopher L. Magee. 2014. Technology-based design and sustainable economic growth. Technovation. Forthcoming. [Read]
- Victor Tang, Jianxi Luo. 2013. Idea matrix and creativity operators. Proceedings of 19th International Conference on Engineering Design. [abstract]
- Katja Hölttä-Otto, Kevin Otto, Jianxi Luo. 2013. Innovation differences between new venture startups and incumbent firms. Proceedings of 19th International Conference on Engineering Design. [Read]
- Jianxi Luo. 2013. Which industries to bail out first in economic recession? Ranking U.S. industrial sectors by the Power-of-Pull. Economic Systems Research. 25(2), 157-169. [Read]
- Jianxi Luo. 2013. Power-of-pull of economic sectors: A complex network analysis. Complexity, 18(5), 37–47.
- Jianxi Luo, Carliss Y. Baldwin, Daniel E. Whitney, Christopher L. Magee. 2012. The architecture of transaction networks: A comparative analysis of hierarchy in two sectors. Industrial and Corporate Change. 21(6), 1307-1335. [Read]
- Jianxi Luo and Christopher L. Magee. 2011. Detecting evolving patterns of self-organizing networks by flow hierarchy measurement. Complexity, 16(6), 53-61. [Read]
- “Hierarchy in Industry Architecture: Transaction Strategy Under Technological Constraints,” Doctoral Dissertation, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2010. [Read]
- Matthias Holweg, Jianxi Luo, Nick Oliver. 2009. The past, present and future of China’s automotive industry: A value chain perspective. International Journal of Technological Learning, Innovation and Development, 2(1/2), 76-118.
- James Winebrake, Sandra Rothenberg, Jianxi Luo, Erin Green. 2008. Automotive transportation in China: Technology, policy, market dynamics, and sustainability. International Journal of Sustainable Transportation, 2(4), 213-233.
- Yangjun Zhang, Minggao Ouyang, Qingchun Lu, Jianxi Luo, Xihao Li. 2004. A model predicting performance of proton exchange membrane fuel cell stack thermal systems, Applied Thermal Engineering, 24(4), 501~513.
- Yangjun Zhang, Minggao Ouyang, Jianxi Luo, Zhao Zhang, Yongjun Wang. 2003. Mathematical modeling of vehicle fuel cell power system thermal management. SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1146, doi:10.4271/2003-01-114.
- Jianxi Luo, Yangjun Zhang. 2004. Influences of thermostat on engine thermal system transient performance, Journal of Tsinghua Science and Technology, 44(5), 701~704.
- Jianxi Luo, Yangjun Zhang, Baoning Zhang. 2003. Numerical simulation of separated flow via 2d hybrid grid technique, Power Engineering, 23(1): 2240~2244.
- Jianxi Luo, Zhangsong Zhan, Yangjun Zhang. 2003. Numerical investigation on complex flow field under vehicle, Automotive Engineering, 25(4), 330~334
- Jianxi Luo, Yangjun Zhang, Shangrong Tu. 2003. Thermal management system design for fuel cell engine experiments, Vehicle Engine, 2003(4), 32~34.
- Baoning Zhang, Yangjun Zhang, Qingguo Meng, Jianxi Luo. 2002. Criterion of three-dimensional flow separation with rotation effects, Journal of Tsinghua Science and Technology, 42(2), 254~257.
- Jianxi Luo is an assistant professor in the Engineering Product Development (EPD) Pillar at the Singapore University of Technology and Design (SUTD). Prof. Luo has a strong passion for creativity, innovation and entrepreneurship in research, teaching and practice. His research applies system theories and methods to designing products, processes and ecosystems for better chances of innovation. Recent work involves mining “big data” and network analysis to guide the design and innovation processes. He teaches courses on “entrepreneurship”, “innovation management”, and “design”, to undergraduate, graduate and executive students from diverse backgrounds. In practice, he was a (co-)founder of several start-ups in the United States. Prior to joining SUTD, he was a faculty member at the school of engineering of New York University. He is currently vice chair of the Technology, Innovation Management and Entrepreneurship Section of INFORMS.