The Minor in Engineering Product (EP) will allow students to combine skills and competencies from their chosen engineering discipline with exposure to the conception, design, implementation and operation of innovative technology-intensive products. Graduates with this Minor will become engineers equipped with both technical depth from their own Pillar and ability to lead and develop new products, processes or methodologies.
Planning for Minor Study
- The Engineering Product Minor consists of a collection of five subjects required by EPD.
- This Minor is open to ESD and ISTD students from Term 5 in 2019 onwards.
- The Minor will be accorded upon successful completion of the required subjects by Term 8. No extension beyond Term 8 is allowed.
- Students are required to meet an academic advisor to formulate a study plan. Subsequently, students are required to track their own progress towards completing the minor programme as per the study plan formulated.
- EPD Pillar will call for submission of study plans at various check points – Term 5, Term 7 and Term 8.
- Students in AY2018 onwards may be able to pursue up to 2 minors (subject to availability), a maximum of 1 each from the following categories:
- Non-HASS University Minor (DIVE/AI) or a Pillar Minor offered by a Pillar other than their major Pillar
- HASS University Minor (DTS/DH)
- Students in AY2017 intake are allowed to do one minor programme only (choose from Artificial Intelligence, Engineering Product or Information Systems).
Declaration of Minor
- Students from AY2018 onwards must declare their intention to enroll in the minor to the Office of Student Administration when choosing a Pillar (e.g. between Term 3 and Term 4).
- Students in AY2017 must formally declare their intention to enroll in a minor to the Office of Student Administration, their pillar and the pillar/cluster offering the minor latest by the end of recess week of Term 5.
- Students who declared earlier but decided not to pursue the minor programme are required to inform OSA in writing.
- Retrospective declaration of minor is not allowed.
For AY2016 (current seniors), the minimum CGPA to overload is 4.25.
For AY2017 (current juniors), the minimum CGPA to overload is 3.5.
- Students must have passed all 12 Freshmore subjects when declaring EP minor.
- Students who are deemed to be unable to complete the coursework by Term 8 will not be allowed to pursue the minor.
|Mandatory||Minimum 2 from EPD Core (Unrestricted Elective)||Maximum 2 from ISTD/ESD electives|
|30.007 Engineering Design Innovation (taken in either Term 5 or Term 7)||Spring Term
Note: All courses are subject to timetable availability and fulfillment of pre-requisites. If students are required to overload in order to fulfill EP Minor requirements, the minimum CGPA for overloading (3.5) must be met.
- Students must complete a minimum of 3 subjects or 36 subject credits from EPD. Students can fulfill these by the end of Term 8 by using the unrestricted elective slots during the pillar terms.
- Students must complete 2 or the equivalent of 24 subject credits as cross-pillar subjects.
- Subjects taken to complete the minor shall be graded and computed into the GPA. Unless a minimum passing grade is stated by the pillar, the minimum passing grade shall be a D. Non-letter grading options cannot be used for the minor.
- Credits from successfully completed academic units from external institutions can be recognized towards fulfilling SUTD minor requirements upon approval from the pillar/cluster offering the minor.
Withdrawal from Minor Study
- Should the student not complete or withdraw from the minor programme, the student’s major pillar may, at its sole discretion, allow the additional fifth subject(s) successfully completed in the previous term(s) for the discontinued minor to be counted towards the pillar degree requirements.
- Grades earned to complete the minor shall still be computed towards the GPA after the student’s withdrawal.