Associate Professor, Program Director for Master’s of Innovation by Design (MIbD) & Director of the NAMIC Hub@SUTD
Telephone: +65 6499 8754
Room Number: 3.404
Material Science, Design Science, Mechanical Engineering, Rapid Prototyping, Advanced Materials, Additive Manufacturing, Aerospace, Composite Materials, Design Theory and Methodology, Digital Design, Ideation, Materials and Technology Selection, Natural Materials, Digital Fabrication, Sustainable Design
Pillar / Cluster: Engineering Product Development
Arlindo has a PhD in Mechanical Engineering and more than 25 years of teaching and research experience. His current research interests rest on engineering design, product development, creativity, materials selection methodologies, additive manufacturing in composite structures, cost modelling and management of uncertainty in design. He published over a hundred and fifty papers in journals, conferences and book chapters, more than 50 patents and authored/co-edited five books in engineering related topics. He received the MIT-Portugal Education Innovation Award in 2009 and was a Professor of Excellence at the University of Lisbon in 2009, 2013, 2014 and 2015, before joining the Singapore University of Technology and Design as an Associate Professor with the Engineering Product Development Pillar. He was also a Senior Materials Education consultant at Granta Design Ltd, Cambridge, UK, and is an active member of PDMA, ASEE, ASME, ASTM International, INCOSE, DS and SPEE. He is the current NAMIC (National Additive Manufacturing Innovation Cluster) Hub Director at SUTD, liaising Singaporean companies with SUTD’s expertise in Additive Manufacturing and Composites Technologies through the DManD (Digital Manufacturing and Design) Center. He currently teaches Design-related topics at all levels of higher and executive education, and develops his research between the SUTD-MIT International Design Center, i-Trust, and DManD. He is also the Program Director for the new Master of Engineering in Innovation by Design at SUTD, a member of the Executive Committee of the Design Business Chamber Singapore, and a member of the Manufacturing Standards Committee, under Enterprise Singapore (ESG) Standards Division.
- PhD in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Lisbon, Portugal, 2001
- MSc in Mechanical Engineering from the Technical University of Lisbon, Portugal, 1994
- Licenciatura (5 years Bachelor) in Mechanical Engineering from the Technical University of Lisbon, Portugal, 1991
Awards & Achievements
- Distinguished paper award at the 8th International Conference on Research in Design, January 2021 (iCoRD 21) with the paper “Innovation by Design – A new post-graduate program at SUTD” co-authored with Lucienne Blessing.
- Best Paper Award 2020 from the journal of Resources Conservation and Recycling, with the paper on “Buildings and the circular economy: Estimating urban mining, recovery and reuse potential of building components” co-authored by Mohit Arora, Felix Raspall and Lynette Cheah.
- Professor of Excellence at the University of Lisbon in 2011, 2013 and 2014. The distinction applies only to those who excel, according to the students’ evaluations on the three domains under evaluation: benefit from face-to-face learning, pedagogic capacity, and interaction with students.
- MIT-Portugal Educational Innovation Award 2009. This Award was based on student course evaluations, as well as the Coordinators’ assessment of the overall contribution to educational innovation and commitment to pedagogical issues during the 2007-2008 and 2008-2009 academic years.
Selected Journal Publications (last 5 years)
- Yoong, C.H., Palleti, V.R., Maiti, R.R., Silva, A., Poskitt, C.M., Deriving defence mechanisms for critical infrastructure using axiomatic design principles. Cybersecurity. In press. DOI
- Venkatesan, C., Velu, R., Vaheed, N., Raspall, F., Tay, T.E., Silva, A., Effect of process parameters on Polyamide-6 carbon fibre prepreg laminated by IR assisted Automated fibre placement. International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology 108 (2020) 1275–1284. DOI
- Arora, M., Raspall, F., Cheah, L., Silva, A., Buildings and the Circular Economy: Estimating Urban Mining, Recovery and Reuse Potential of Building Components. Resources, Conservation & Recycling 154 (2020) 104581. DOI
- Juan J., Salan, M.N., Silva, A., Tornero, J., Design of a prototype for the in-situ forming of a liquid infused preform (ISFLIP) process. Journal of Mechanical Design, 142:1 (2020) 015001. DOI
- Calado, E., Leite, M., Silva, A., Integrating life cycle assessment (LCA) and life cycle costing (LCC) in the early phases of aircraft structural design: a case study. International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment 24:12 (2019) 2091-2110. DOI
- Silva, A., Leite, M., Silva, J. V-B., Simões, R., How education background affects design outcome: teaching product development to mechanical engineers, industrial designers and managers. European Journal of Engineering Education 44:4 (2019) 545-569. DOI
- Koronis, G., Chia, P.Z., Siang, J.K.K., Silva, A., Yogiaman, C., Raghunath, N., An Empirical Study on the Impact of Design Brief Information on the Creativity of Design Outcomes with consideration of Gender, and Gender Diversity. Journal of Mechanical Design 141:7 (2019) 071102-1-14. DOI
- Arora, M., Raspall, F., Cheah, L., Silva, A., Residential building material stocks and component-level circularity: The case of Singapore. Journal of Cleaner Production 216 (2019) 239-248. DOI
- Gaspar, J., Fontul, M., Henriques, E., Silva, A., Push button design requirements and relations to button architecture elements. International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics 70 (2019) 92-106. DOI
- Tiong, E., Seow, O., Teo, K., Silva, A., Wood, K.L., Jensen, D.J., Yang, M.C., Economies and Dimensionality of Prototyping: Value, Time, Cost and Fidelity. Journal of Mechanical Design 141:3 (2019) 031105-1-031105-18. DOI
- Palleti, V. R., Joseph, J.V., Silva, A., A contribution of axiomatic design principles to the analysis and impact of attacks on critical infrastructures. International Journal of Critical Infrastructure Protection 23 (2018) 21-32. DOI
- Marques, P., Silva, A., Henriques, E., Integrating innovation & technology: a case study. International Journal of Systematic Innovation 5:2 (2018) 25-34.
- Carvalho, I., Simões, R., Silva, A., Applying the Theory of Inventive Problem Solving (TRIZ) to identify design opportunities for improved passenger car eco-effectiveness. Mitigation and Adaptation Strategies for Global Change, 23:6 (2018) 907–932. DOI
- Calado, E., Leite, M., Silva, A., Selecting composite materials considering cost and environmental impact in the early phases of aircraft structure design. Journal of Cleaner Production 186 (2018) 113-122. DOI
- Furtado, S., Araujo, A. L., Silva, A., Inverse characterization of vegetable fibre reinforced composites exposed to environmental degradation. Composite Structures 189 (2018) 529-544. DOI
- Koronis, G., Silva, A., Green composites reinforced with natural fabrics: process cost and eco-impact assessment. Journal of Composites Science 2:1 (2018). DOI
- Leite, M., Varanda, A., Ribeiro, A.R., Silva, A., Vaz, M.F., Mechanical properties and water absorption of surface modified ABS 3D printed by fused deposition modeling. Rapid Prototyping Journal, 24:1 (2018) 195-203. DOI
- Koronis, G., Silva, A., Predicting the flexural properties of woven flax reinforced epoxy composites using design of experiments. Materials Today Communications 13 (2017) 317–324. DOI
- Fernandes, J., Henriques, E., Silva, A., Pimentel, C., Modelling the dynamics of complex early design processes: an agent-based approach. Design Science, 3 (2017) e19 . DOI
- Gaspar, J., Fontul, M., Henriques, E., Silva, A., Haptics of in-car radio buttons and its relationship with engineering parameters. International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics 59:2 (2017) 29-45. DOI
Edited books (last 5 years)
- Koronis, G., Silva, A. (Editors), Green composites for automotive applications. Woodhead Publishing, Elsevier, November 2019. 332 pages. ISBN 9780081021774
Selected book chapters (last 5 years)
- Koronis, G., Silva, A., Eco-impact analysis of a hood part made of a ramie reinforced composite. Chapter 5 in Green Composites for Automotive Applications (2018), Koronis, G., Silva, A. (Editors), Woodhead Publishing, pp99-114. ISBN 978-0-08-102177-4. DOI
- Peças, P., Ribeiro, I., Carvalho, H., Silva, A., Salman, H., Henriques, E., Ramie and Jute as Natural Fibers in a Composite Part – A Life Cycle Engineering Comparison with an Aluminum Part. Chapter 11 in Green Composites for Automotive Applications (2018), Koronis, G., Silva, A. (Editors), Woodhead Publishing, pp254-284. ISBN 978-0-08-102177-4. DOI
- Carvalho, H., Raposo, A., Ribeiro, I., Peças, P., Silva, A., Henriques, E., Influence of the use of natural fibres in composite materials assessed on a life cycle perspective. Chapter 14 in Handbook of Composites from Renewable Materials, vol. 6: Polymeric composites (2017) Thakur, V. K., Thakur, M. K., Kessler, M. R. (Editors), Wiley. ISBN 978-1-119-22380-1. DOI
PhD Theses supervised and concluded or on-going (last 5 years)
- Michael Ong, Faiz Mulla, Chiu Po Heng, Lin Conglian, Ding Yongfeng, William Siew, Chadurvedi Venkatesan, Kamya Nagarajan, Jorge Luis (on-going theses)
- Jacob Kang, Understanding Framing and Reframing of Engineering Design Problems for Creativity and Innovation- Issues and Challenges, 2021
- Mohit Arora, Demolitions to Design: a Case for Circular Economy, 2019
- Elçin Calado, Materials Selection in the Early Stages of Product Development, 2017.
- Irene Carvalho, Opportunities in Passenger Car Design for Improved Eco-effectiveness: An Engineering Systems Approach, 2016.
MSc/MEng Theses supervised and concluded or on-going (last 5 years)
- Cheryl Low Rui Min, Yeo Zhen Yong, Fan Boyang, Murali Krishnan, Abdul Gafoor Jubair Ahamed, Tan Wei Hua, Ashreya Venkatesh, Balakumharen Ammanikadu Palanisamy (on-going theses)
- Laura Estefania Yanez, Methodology to streamline the design process of digital products by using knowledge-based engineering, 2020
- William Siew, Harnessing mobile-based technologies for caregiving of persons with dementia, 2020
Design of Enhanced Engineering Products Lab
The Design of Enhanced Engineering Products Lab (DEEP Lab) is an informal gathering of faculty, researchers and students with common interests in the areas of the design process, design practice and design research. From its inception in January 2017, the Lab's goal is to foster the design practice and research together with companies through the development of tools and methods. With that objective, we will seek funding from both governmental agencies and companies and will hire and support research staff within research and consultancy projects at the International Design Center. The Lab involves researchers from diverse backgrounds with the aim of fostering interdisciplinary thinking and cross-pollination. The areas of interest to the Lab include, but are not limited to: design methods and techniques, product design and development processes and practices, design research, creativity, materials selection methodologies, renewable composites, cost modeling and management of uncertainty in design.
On-going research projects
- Rethinking design spaces for composite structures
This research project will kick off in the first quarter of 2019, and is an effort to consolidate the design process for composite structures, taking into account cost, structural performance and environmental impact at the early stages of product design, for aerospace composite structures. The project will be developed in collaboration with a major local company.
- UI/UX for a new Kiosk in the biomedical sector
This project aims to redesign the entire experience in a kiosk that offers a biomedical product to customers, without any assistance. The scope of work is to study the current kiosk and develop a new physical structure together a new user interface to enhance the user experience. The project is fully funded by a company in Singapore, and the findings will be applied across the globe.
- A two-track approach to Cyber-physical systems reconaissance: causal-graphs and axiomatic design
This project aims to study the design of critical cyber-physical systems using two distinct approaches, which will eventually merge together towards the end of the project. Particular emphasis will be put on modelling and attack detection.
- Polymer matrix composites program
This project, with multiple research partners across Singapore, aims to advance the state of the art and knowledge on large-scale composite structures, using the built-in capabilities at SUTD of robotic additive manufacturing and automated fiber placement, for the specific case of thermoplastic resins.
- Industrial Digital Design for Additive Manufacturing Workflows
This project, with multiple research partners across Singapore, aims to advance the state of the art and knowledge on metal additive manufacturing (more specifically, metal PBF), by integrating the workflow from design to delivery into a one-stop software add-on. It aims to use digital twins of the various processes in the workflow and fast surrogate models for the design stage.
Research projects under review
Special issues in journals (on-going)
Guest Editor, with Carlos Bañon, for the Special Issue of the open-access Journal of Composites Science (ISSN 2504-477X) on Large Scale Composite Structures. Deadline for submission: 30 November 2021 (link)
Guest Editor, with Mohit Arora, Rupert Myers and Felix Raspall of the Special Issue of the open-access journal Sustainability (ISSN 2071-1050, impact factor 2.576) on Sustainable Buildings: Advances for Material Efficiency and Circular Economy in Built Environment. Deadline for submission: 30 July 2021. (link)
Guest Editor for the Special Issue of the open-access journal Polymers (ISSN 2073-4360, impact factor: 3.426) on New Advances in Composites Design and Manufacturing. Deadline for submission: 25 March 2021 (link)
PhD applicants are welcome! If you are looking for a PhD scholarship to develop research in any of DEEP Lab's pertinent areas, there are funding opportunities here. Do let us know of your interest in applying for a scholarship. We will assess the alignment of your interests with those of the Lab and endorse your application.