Associate Professor & Program Director for Master’s of Innovation by Design (MIbD)
Telephone: +65 6499 8754
Room Number: 1.602.02
Material Science, Design Science, Mechanical Engineering, Rapid Prototyping, Advanced Materials, Additive Manufacturing, Aerospace, Composite Materials, Design Theory and Methodology, Digital Design, Ideation, Materials and Technology Selection, Natural Materials, Digital Fabrication, Sustainable Design
Pillar / Cluster: Engineering Product Development
Arlindo has a PhD in Mechanical Engineering and more than 30 years of teaching and research experience. His current research interests rest on engineering design, product development, creativity, materials selection methodologies, additive manufacturing in composite structures, cost modelling and management of uncertainty in design. He published over a hundred and fifty papers in journals, conferences and book chapters, more than 50 patents and authored/co-edited five books in engineering related topics. He received the MIT-Portugal Education Innovation Award in 2009 and was a Professor of Excellence at the University of Lisbon in 2009, 2013, 2014 and 2015, before joining the Singapore University of Technology and Design as an Associate Professor with the Engineering Product Development Pillar. He was also a Senior Materials Education consultant during 2012 at Granta Design Ltd, Cambridge, UK, and was the NAMIC (National Additive Manufacturing Innovation Cluster) Hub Director at SUTD from February 2018 to September 2023, liaising Singaporean companies with SUTD’s expertise in Additive Manufacturing and Composites Technologies through the DManD (Digital Manufacturing and Design) Center. He is an active member of PDMA, ASEE, ASME, ASTM International, INCOSE, DS and SPEE. He currently teaches Design-related topics at all levels of higher and executive education and develops his research between the SUTD Design Z Center, i-Trust, and DManD. He is also the Program Director for the Master of Engineering in Innovation by Design at SUTD, the Master of Science in Technology and Design, Sustainable Product Design, and a member of the Executive Committee of the Design Business Chamber Singapore.
- PhD in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Lisbon, Portugal, 2001
- MSc in Mechanical Engineering from the Technical University of Lisbon, Portugal, 1994
- Licenciatura (5 years Bachelor) in Mechanical Engineering from the Technical University of Lisbon, Portugal, 1991
Awards & Achievements
- Best Paper Award at the VIII Sustainable Design Symposium, Federal University of Paraná (UFPR), Curitiba, Brazil, December 1-3, 2021 with the paper “Training design students through a behaviour life prediction game simulation” co-authored with Gallindo, V. and Abinaya, N.
- Distinguished paper award at the 8th International Conference on Research in Design, January 2021 (iCoRD 21) with the paper “Innovation by Design – A new post-graduate program at SUTD” co-authored with Lucienne Blessing.
- Best Paper Award 2020 from the journal of Resources Conservation and Recycling, with the paper on “Buildings and the circular economy: Estimating urban mining, recovery and reuse potential of building components” co-authored by Mohit Arora, Felix Raspall and Lynette Cheah.
- Professor of Excellence at the University of Lisbon in 2011, 2013 and 2014. The distinction applies only to those who excel, according to the students’ evaluations on the three domains under evaluation: benefit from face-to-face learning, pedagogic capacity, and interaction with students.
- MIT-Portugal Educational Innovation Award 2009. This Award was based on student course evaluations, as well as the Coordinators’ assessment of the overall contribution to educational innovation and commitment to pedagogical issues during the 2007-2008 and 2008-2009 academic years.
Selected Journal Publications (last 5 years)
- Raghunath, N., Koronis, G., Silva, A., Yogiaman, C., A Hybrid Approach to Stimulating and Measuring Creativity in the Classroom Context. Submitted to Design Science in April 2023. Review requested in June. Re-submitted in October. In press
- Chiu, M., Sim, W.L., Mun, N., Silva, A., Using AI-Enabled Divergence and Convergence Patterns as a Quantitative Artifact in Design Education. Submitted to the Journal of Mechanical Design in April 2023. Reviews required in September. Resubmitted in October. In press.
- Ding, Y., Camanho, P. P., Silva, A., A new quantitative method to evaluate the spatial distribution of inclusions in composites: the degree of randomness. Journal of Materials Research and Technology 26 (2023) 7248-7258. DOI
- Koronis, G, Casakin, H., Silva A., An experimental comparison of Analogy Representation Effects on Creative Outcomes. Journal of Creative Behavior. Online since 1 September 2023. In press. DOI
- Gallindo, V., Freire, L., Silva, A., Alves, C., Leite, M., Empathy is not the way, Critical and Creative Thinking for Design for Sustainability Transitions. Disegno Industriale Industrial Design (DIID) 79 (2023) 10.
- Chiu, M., Lim, S., Silva, A., Visualising Design Project Team and Individual Progress using NLP: A Comparison between Latent Semantic Analysis and Word2Vector Algorithms. Artificial Intelligence for Engineering Design, Analysis and Manufacturing (AIEDAM) 37 (2023) e18. DOI
- Lin, C., L. Zhang, Y-F., Z., Lu, D., Silva, A., Liu, Z., Yang, H.Y., Low-Temperature Resistant Stretchable Micro-Supercapacitor Based on 3D Printed Octet-Truss Design. Small, available online since 2 February 2023. DOI
- Venkatesan, C., Faiz, M., Silva, A., Effects of processing parameters of infrared-based automated fibre placement on mechanical performance of carbon fibre reinforced thermoplastic composite. Composite Structures 309 (2023) 116725. DOI
- Obieke, C., Milisavljevic-Syed, J., Silva, A., Han, J., A Computational Approach to Identifying Engineering Design Problems. Journal of Mechanical Design 2023 145(4): 041405. DOI
- Koronis, G, Casakin, H., Silva A., The Effect of Potential Analogies and Negative Issues on Creative Designs. Journal of Mechanical Design 2023 145(5): 051401. DOI.
- Kgee Ong, J., Yang Tan, Q., Silva, A., Cheh Tan, C., Tian Chew, L., Wang, S., Stanley, C., Vastola, G., Tan, U., Effect of process parameters and build orientations on the mechanical properties of maraging steel (18Ni-300) parts printed by selective laser melting. Materials Today: Proceedings 70 (2022) 438-442. DOI
- Yong, Y.Z., Cardeal, G., Silva, A., Ribeiro, I., Leite, M., Assessing Suitability of Parts For Additive Manufacturing. Materials Today: Proceedings 70 (2022) 492-498. DOI
- Koronis, G., Silva, A., Ong, M., Comparison of structural performance and environmental impact of epoxy composites modified by glass and flax fabrics. Journal of Composites Science 6 (2022) 10: 284. DOI
- Lin, C., Zhang, J., Yan, D., Li, K., Lim, Y.V., Leong, Z.I., Vafakhah, S., Li, Y., Silva, A., Yang, H.Y., 3D Hierarchical Architectures of CoSe2 Nanoparticles Embedded in Rice-Derived Hard Carbon Interconnected with Carbon Nanotubes for Advanced Sodium Storage Properties. Carbon Neutralization (2022) 1 (3) 224-232. DOI
- Rajib, M., Paletti, V., Yoong, C., Silva, A., Poskit, C, Mitigating Adversarial Attacks on Data-Driven Invariant Checkers for Cyber-Physical Systems. IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing (2022). DOI
- Koronis, G., Silva, A., Kang, J., Yogiaman, C., A Study on the Link Between Design Brief Structure and Stimulus Fidelity to Optimize Novelty and Usefulness. Artificial Intelligence for Engineering Design, Analysis and Manufacturing (AIEDAM) 36 (2022) e5. DOI
- Juan, J., Salan, N., Silva, A., Tornero, J. A., Gamez, J., Void content minimization in Vacuum Infusion (VI) via effective degassing. Polymers 13 (2021) 2876. DOI
- Arora, M., Raspall, F., Fearnley, L., Silva, A., Urban Mining in Buildings for a Circular Economy: Planning, Process and Feasibility Prospects. Resources, Conservation & Recycling. 174 (2021) 105754. DOI
- Yoong, C.H., Palleti, V.R., Maiti, R.R., Silva, A., Poskitt, C.M., Deriving invariant checkers for critical infrastructure using axiomatic design principles. Cybersecurity 4 (2021). DOI
- Koronis, G, Casakin, H., Silva A., Crafting Briefs to Stimulate Creativity in the Design Studio. Thinking Skills and Creativity, 40 (2021) 100810. DOI
- Venkatesan, C., Velu, R., Vaheed, N., Raspall, F., Tay, T.E., Silva, A., Effect of process parameters on Polyamide-6 carbon fibre prepreg laminated by IR assisted Automated fibre placement. International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology 108 (2020) 1275–1284. DOI
- Arora, M., Raspall, F., Cheah, L., Silva, A., Buildings and the Circular Economy: Estimating Urban Mining, Recovery and Reuse Potential of Building Components. Resources, Conservation & Recycling 154 (2020) 104581. DOI
- Juan J., Salan, M.N., Silva, A., Tornero, J., Design of a prototype for the in-situ forming of a liquid infused preform (ISFLIP) process. Journal of Mechanical Design, 142:1 (2020) 015001. DOI
- Calado, E., Leite, M., Silva, A., Integrating life cycle assessment (LCA) and life cycle costing (LCC) in the early phases of aircraft structural design: a case study. International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment 24:12 (2019) 2091-2110. DOI
- Silva, A., Leite, M., Silva, J. V-B., Simões, R., How education background affects design outcome: teaching product development to mechanical engineers, industrial designers and managers. European Journal of Engineering Education 44:4 (2019) 545-569. DOI
- Koronis, G., Chia, P.Z., Siang, J.K.K., Silva, A., Yogiaman, C., Raghunath, N., An Empirical Study on the Impact of Design Brief Information on the Creativity of Design Outcomes with consideration of Gender, and Gender Diversity. Journal of Mechanical Design 141:7 (2019) 071102-1-14. DOI
- Arora, M., Raspall, F., Cheah, L., Silva, A., Residential building material stocks and component-level circularity: The case of Singapore. Journal of Cleaner Production 216 (2019) 239-248. DOI
- Gaspar, J., Fontul, M., Henriques, E., Silva, A., Push button design requirements and relations to button architecture elements. International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics 70 (2019) 92-106. DOI
- Tiong, E., Seow, O., Teo, K., Silva, A., Wood, K.L., Jensen, D.J., Yang, M.C., Economies and Dimensionality of Prototyping: Value, Time, Cost and Fidelity. Journal of Mechanical Design 141:3 (2019) 031105-1-031105-18. DOI
Edited books (last 5 years)
- Koronis, G., Silva, A. (Editors), Green composites for automotive applications. Woodhead Publishing, Elsevier, November 2019. 332 pages. ISBN 9780081021774
Selected book chapters (last 5 years)
- Koronis, G., Silva, A., Eco-impact analysis of a hood part made of a ramie reinforced composite. Chapter 5 in Green Composites for Automotive Applications (2018), Koronis, G., Silva, A. (Editors), Woodhead Publishing, pp99-114. ISBN 978-0-08-102177-4. DOI
- Peças, P., Ribeiro, I., Carvalho, H., Silva, A., Salman, H., Henriques, E., Ramie and Jute as Natural Fibers in a Composite Part – A Life Cycle Engineering Comparison with an Aluminum Part. Chapter 11 in Green Composites for Automotive Applications (2018), Koronis, G., Silva, A. (Editors), Woodhead Publishing, pp254-284. ISBN 978-0-08-102177-4. DOI
- Carvalho, H., Raposo, A., Ribeiro, I., Peças, P., Silva, A., Henriques, E., Influence of the use of natural fibres in composite materials assessed on a life cycle perspective. Chapter 14 in Handbook of Composites from Renewable Materials, vol. 6: Polymeric composites (2017) Thakur, V. K., Thakur, M. K., Kessler, M. R. (Editors), Wiley. ISBN 978-1-119-22380-1. DOI
PhD Theses supervised and concluded or on-going (last 5 years)
- Sohail Sangha, Afonso Gusmao, Shaleen Shahrin, Immanuel Hendra, Augusto Ramalhao, Yeoh Keat Chin, Michael Ong, Faiz Mulla, Chiu Po Heng, Lin Congjian, Ding Yongfeng, William Siew, Shravya Thandlam, Viviane Gallindo, and Jorge Luis (on-going theses)
- Kamya Nagarajan, Human Factors and usability design in medical devices: Towards the development of user interface design guidelines, 2023.
- Chadurvedi Venkatesan, Automated manufacturing of carbon fiber reinforced thermoplastic composites materials, 2022.
- Jacob Kang, Understanding Framing and Reframing of Engineering Design Problems for Creativity and Innovation- Issues and Challenges, 2021
- Mohit Arora, Demolitions to Design: a Case for Circular Economy, 2019
MSc/MEng Theses supervised or co-supervised, and concluded or on-going (last 5 years)
- Luiz Freire, Phoa Zhi Qing, Jeanette Lee, Muhammad Shahaan, Thirivigirama Abhishek, Rafael Selhorst and Carina Carrasco
- Esmonde Tan, Adoption of circular design principles by local designers, 2023
- Yvonne Lim, Volunteering in Singapore: Investigating volunteering motivations and organizational processes to design an improved volunteer to volunteering opportunity matching system for a VWO organization, 2023
- Mervyn Chua, Product Architecture Change: Challenges and Opportunities with an Industrial Case Study, 2023
- Yang Suyi, A Soft Sensor-based Socket Interface to Improve Evaluation of Prosthetic Socket Fit under Dynamic Conditions, 2023
- Bryan Wong, A Theoretical Study of Ultrasound Imaging for 3D Volume Model and a proposed attachment module for Lower Limb Prosthetic Sockets, 2022
- Yeo Zhen Yong, Assessing Suitability of Obsolete Parts for Additive Manufacturing, 2022
- Cheryl Low Rui Min, Designing for and measuring patient compliance in patient-adaptable healthcare products, 2022
- Tan Wei Hua, The Industrial and User Experience Design Process of Robots for Human Environments, 2022
- Fan Boyang, Design of an Automatic Brush Cleaner based on Universal Design Theory, 2022
- Yeoh Keat Chin, Challenges and Barriers to Industry 4.0 based on small medium enterprise (SME) perspectives in the precision engineering cluster in Singapore, 2021
- Balakumharen Ammanikadu Palanisamy, Design for curiosity, 2021
- Abdul Gafoor Jubair Ahamed, Designing a smart device to assist in clinical diagnosis for neck pain, 2021
- Ashreya Venkatesh, Measuring design impact across disciplines, industries and scale, 2021
- Laura Estefania Yanez, Methodology to streamline the design process of digital products by using knowledge-based engineering, 2020
- William Siew, Harnessing mobile-based technologies for caregiving of persons with dementia, 2020
Design of Enhanced Engineering Products Lab
The Design of Enhanced Engineering Products Lab (DEEP Lab) is an informal gathering of faculty, researchers and students with common interests in the areas of the design process, design practice and design research. From its inception in January 2017, the Lab's goal is to foster the design practice and research together with companies through the development of tools and methods. With that objective, we will seek funding from both governmental agencies and companies and will hire and support research staff within research and consultancy projects at the Design Z Center. The Lab involves researchers from diverse backgrounds with the aim of fostering interdisciplinary thinking and cross-pollination. The areas of interest to the Lab include, but are not limited to: design methods and techniques (including AI), product design and development processes and practices, design research, creativity, materials selection methodologies, renewable composites, cost modeling and management of uncertainty in design.
PhD applicants are welcome! If you are looking for a PhD scholarship to develop research in any of DEEP Lab's pertinent areas, there are funding opportunities here. Do let us know of your interest in applying for a scholarship. We will assess the alignment of your interests with those of the Lab and endorse your application.