Room Number: 1.202.22
Design Science, Digital Manufacturing, Internet of Things / IOT, Design with Artificial Intelligence, Cloud Computing, Design for Sustainability
Pillar / Cluster: Engineering Product Development
Open to opportunities to collaborate, connect and engage in Interdisciplinary collaborative research projects, initiatives, or discussions. Feel free to reach out to me.
Dr Jacob Kang is a lecturer in the Engineering Product Development (EPD) pillar at the Singapore University of Technology and Design (SUTD). He enjoys fostering inclusive learning experiences and is passionate in the teaching of academic material that is both useful and engaging to students. He is interested in artificial intelligence to enrich learning and enhance creative design outcomes. The subjects he currently teaches includes Design Science, Digital Manufacturing (Internet of Things), Materials and Manufacturing Process Selection in Design, Innovation by Design (PhD and Masters) and Design and Manufacturing, Healthcare Product Design (Undergrad). His research involved examining the relationships between Creativity, Design Science, Artificial Intelligence and Sustainable Engineering Practices to improve User Experience and drive Innovation. He completed his Ph.D. in Engineering Design from Singapore University of Technology and Design in 2021 and has lectured on Design Innovation, Methods and Impact Metrics for public and private organizations particularly in areas of Social impact and Sustainability.
- Jan 2016 – Mar 2021 – Singapore University of Technology and Design (SUTD) Singapore
Doctor of Philosophy (PHD) in Engineering Product Development – GPA: 4.25/5.00 (Distinction)
- Apr 2012 – Aug 2015 – Bachelor of Engineering in Mechanical and Materials Engineering (Graduated with Honors)
- Koronis, G., Silva, A., Kang, J., Yogiaman, C., A Study on the Link Between Design Brief Structure and Stimulus Fidelity to Optimize Novelty and Usefulness. Artificial Intelligence for Engineering Design, Analysis and Manufacturing (AIEDAM) 36 (2022) e5. DOI
- Kang, J., Meurzec, R., Cia, P. Z., Koronis, G., Silva, A., Wood, K.L., Assessing the impact of abstract representation and reframing design briefs on creative ideation. International Conference on Engineering Design, ICED19, Delft, The Netherlands, 5-8 August 2019. DOI
- Koronis, G., Chia, P.Z., Kang, J., Silva, A., Yogiaman, C., Raghunath, N., An Empirical Study on the Impact of Design Brief Information on the Creativity of Design Outcomes with consideration of Gender, and Gender Diversity. Journal of Mechanical Design 141:7 (2019) 071102-1-14. DOI
- Kang, J., Chia, P.Z., Koronis, G., Silva, A., Exploring the use of a full factorial design of experiments method to study design briefs for creative ideation. ASME 2018 International Design Engineering Technical Conference & Computers and Information in Engineering Conference, IDETC/CIE2018, August 26-29, 2018, Quebec City, Canada. DOI