Martin L. Dunn
Professor and Associate Provost for Research
Telephone: +65 6303 6614
Human-Machine Interfaces, Robotics, Automation & Control
Pillar / Cluster: Engineering Product Development
Martin directed the Mechanics of Materials and Design of Engineering Materials Systems programmes at the US National Science Foundation. He served the NSF while on leave from the University of Colorado, Boulder where he was the Associate Dean for Research in the College of Engineering and Applied Science, a Professor of Mechanical Engineering (and former Department Chair), and held the Victor Schelke Endowed Chair. He earned a PhD from the University of Washington and held positions at Sandia National Laboratories and the Boeing Company. Along with his students, his research on the mechanics and physics of materials and structures has been widely published, cited, and recognised. He is a Fellow of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers.
- 2013-present Associate Provost for Research, Singapore University of Technology and Design.
- 2011-2013 Program Director, Civil, Mechanical, and Manufacturing Engineering, National Science Foundation.
- 1999-2013 Victor Schelke Endowed Chair (2006-2013), Professor (2003-2013), Associate Professor (1999-2003) and Assistant Professor (1993-1999), Dept. Mechanical Engineering, University of Colorado.
- 2009-2011 Associate Dean for Research, College of Engng. Appl. Sci., Univ. of Colorado.
- 2004-2009 Department Chair, Dept. Mechanical Engineering, University of Colorado.
- 1999-present Victor Schelke Endowed Chair (2006-2013), Professor (2003-2013), Associate Professor (1999-2003) and Assistant Professor (1993-1999), Dept. Mechanical Engineering, University of Colorado.
- 1992-1993 Postdoctoral Appointee, Sandia National Laboratories.
- 1989-1992 Instructor (1989-2002) and Teaching/Research Assistant (1988-1989), Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, University of Washington.
- 1987-1988 Design Engineer, Boeing Commercial Airplanes.
- University of Washington Mechanical Engineering PhD/MS 1992/89
- Montana State University Mechanical Engineering BS 1987
- Plenary Speaker, EmTech Singapore – Digital Design and Manufacturing – From 3D to 4D
- College of Engineering Faculty Research Award, University of Colorado
- Woodward Outstanding Mechanical Engineering Faculty Award
- Fellow of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- Victor Schelke Endowed Chair, University of Colorado
- National Science Foundation, Research Initiation Award
- University of Colorado Junior Faculty Development Award
- Mentored PhD students have faculty positions at numerous US research universities and have won top US national awards, including PECASE, NSF Career, ASME, MRS, and Adhesion Society awards.
- Keynote and Plenary Speaker in many conferences in the areas of mechanics and physics of materials and components, design and manufacturing
- Numerous best paper awards with students.
Professor Dunn has published 155 articles in leading refereed journals, along with over 90 in conference proceedings and books. His research has had significant impact with over research has been cited over 7,000 times with an h-index of 44 (Google Scholar), and 5600 times with an h-index of 38 and over 28 citations per paper (ISI Web of Knowledge).
Papers relevant to this proposal involve multiphysics modeling, computational design approaches, and additive manufacturing and include::
- Yu, K., Taynton, P., Zhang, W., Dunn, M. L., and Qi, H. J., 2014, “Reprocessing and Recycling of Thermoset Polymers based on Bond Exchange Reactions,” RSC Advances, DOI:10.1039/C3RA47438K.
- Golmon, S., Maute, K., and Dunn, M. L., 2014, “A Design Optimization Methodology for Li Batteries” Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 253, pp. 239-250, DOI: 10.1016/j.jpowsour.2013.12.025.
- Ge, Q., Qi, H. J., and Dunn, M. L., 2013, “Active Materials by 4D Printing,” Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 103, Paper No. 131901, doi: 10.1063/1.4819837.
- Long, R., Qi, H. J., and Dunn, M. L., 2013, “Thermodynamics and Mechanics of Photochemcially Reacting Polymers,” Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, Vol. 61, pp. 2212–2239.
- Long, R., Qi, H. J., and Dunn, M. L., 2013, “Modeling the Mechanics of Covalently Adaptable Polymer Networks with Temperature-dependent Bond Exchange Reactions,” Soft Matter, Vol. 9, pp. 4083-4096, DOI: 10.1039/C3SM27945F.
- Ge, Q., Luo, X., Iversen, C. B., Mather, P. T., Dunn, M. L. and Qi, H. J., 2013, “Mechanisms of Triple-Shape Polymeric Composites due to Dual Thermal Transitions,” Soft Matter, Vol. 9, pp. 2212-2223, DOI: 10.1039/C2SM27063C.
- Golmon, S., Maute, K., and Dunn, M. L., 2012, “Multi-Scale Design Optimization of Lithium Batteries using Adjoint Sensitivity Analysis” International Journal of Numerical Methods in Engineering, doi: 10.1002/nme.4347.
- Ryu, J., D’Amato, M., Cui, X., Long, K. N., Qi, H. J., and Dunn, M. L., 2012, “Photo-Origami – Bending and Folding Polymers With Light,” Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 100, Paper No. 161908.
- Qi, G., Luo, X., Rodriguez, E. D., Zhang, X., Mather, P. T., Dunn, M. L., and Qi. H. J., 2012, “Thermomechanical Behavior of Shape Memory Elastomeric Composites,” Journal of the
- Rupp, C. J., Maute, K., and Dunn, M. L., 2010, “Switchable Phononic Devices via Wave Filtering and Guiding in Polarization-Patterned Piezoelectric Solids,” Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 96, Paper No. 111902.