Associate Professor and Director of Graduate Studies
Telephone: +65 6303 6667
Room Number: 3.301.03
Pillar / Cluster: Engineering Product Development
Roland Bouffanais (P.I.) Applied Complexity Group
Ph.D. Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Lausanne (EPFL) Curriculum Vitae
Roland Bouffanais is an Associate Professor in the Engineering & Product Development (EPD) Pillar at the Singapore University of Technology and Design (SUTD). Dr. Bouffanais is also serving as Director of Graduate Studies, overseeing all Masters and Doctorate programs at SUTD. He has been a Postdoctoral Fellow and Associate at MIT, and still is a Research Associate with the Department of Mechanical Engineering at MIT.
My research group – the Applied Complexity Group – focuses on both fundamental and applied interdisciplinary problems rooted in the field of complexity. Depending on the nature of the problem, experiments, theory and computations are considered and practiced.
We investigate complexity in engineering, biological and physical systems with a particular emphasis on the study of dynamical processes in relation with emergent collective behaviors.
Awards & Achievements
- Best Paper Award at the ASME-IDETC 2018
- Editorial Board Member of Computers & Fluids (Elsevier)
- IMACS 2008 Most Successful Papers Award, in App. Num. Math, 2009
- IBM Research Prize for Computational Sciences: “Exceptional quality in Doctoral thesis work, specifically, in the originality of method of calculation used and in the scientific results obtained”, 2008
- Finalist EPFL Doctorate Award
- ERCOFTAC Da Vinci Award: “Best European Doctoral Thesis on Flow, Turbulence and Combustion”: Silver medal, 2007