This competition is organised by SUTD to promote awareness of 3D Printing (also known as Additive Manufacturing) technologies as an assistive tool in food sector, and give the participants a better appreciation of the university’s unique pedagogy. In this competition, we challenge aspiring designers and engineers to design, create and “engineer” food in ways that inspire the way we eat.
The objectives of this competition are:
- To create the awareness of additive manufacturing as an assistive tool in the food sector;
- To promote STEM education;
- To inspire design innovation, creativity and reality of engineering beyond the classroom;
- To promote sustainability to align with 30 by 30 goal (Singapore Food Agency).
Participants will also have the opportunity to attend an informative array of workshops organised such as:
- Introduction of 3D Printing
- Understanding Technology and Design Through Social Scientific Lenses
- Food Design
- 3D Food Printing Workshop
Through these workshops, students will gain insights into 3D Printing technologies and experience how SUTD empowers our students to design, innovate and build a better world through a world-class, design-centric education in a hands-on and collaborative learning environment.
Category & Eligibility
- Interested student participants and teachers-in-charge are invited to attend the virtual briefing held on 15 February, to find out more about the competition.
- Each institution can nominate 1 team (JC/IB Category) or 2 teams (Polytechnic Category) of 2 students each, to represent their school in this competition.
- One At-Sunrice GlobalChef Academy student will be attached to each participating team, making it a full team of 3.
- Participating JC/IB students should be in the science stream, while participating Polytechnic students should be taking engineering/design related courses.
- All participating students should have some prior 3D Printing experience.
Qualifying Teams from the Different Categories
Local Junior Colleges & IB Schools
|Round 1||20 teams||10 teams|
|Final Round||3 teams||3 teams|
Local Junior Colleges & IB Schools
|FRANK Best Taste Design Award||S$500||S$500|
(Do note that prize monies will be split by 3 team members, including the At-Sunrice culinary/pastry student)
Announcement of Winners
Announcement of the winners will be held on 23 August 2022, Tuesday at the opening ceremony of SUTD International Conference of Additive Manufacturing for a Better World. The winner or a representative from the winning team must be present in person to collect the prize in Singapore at the prize giving ceremony.
Note: The University reserves the right to not award specific prizes if there are no deserving entries. Winning designs might be showcased during exhibitions, talks, speaking engagements, and other publicity platforms pertaining to the subject.
Agenda for Round 1
*Food (yam) preparation must be done at home
Agenda for Final Round
The judging panel may include experts in 3D Food printing, food (display and palatability), technology and design. Depending on the submission, opinions by experts in relevant fields may also be sought and considered.
- Printability (i.e. no water seepage, hold the shape, etc.) – 30%
- Aesthetics (i.e. final look of the printed dish, etc.) – 20%
- Novelty ((i.e. interesting choice of ingredients and design, etc.) – 20%
- Taste (i.e. flavour, moreishness, tastiness, edibility, etc.) – 20%
- Compatibility of multi-materials used (i.e. combination of multi-materials use of the final dish, etc.) – 10%
There are no fees required for participating in the competition.
For all enquiries regarding the competition, please send your queries to SUTD Admissions Office.
Singapore’s very first food printing competition kicked off with round one on March 18th, 2022. Here’s a quick video of the eventful day at the Armstrong X SUTD 3D Printing Design & Innovation Challenge 2022 held in SUTD. In this competition, we challenge aspiring designers and engineers to design, create and “engineer” food in ways that inspire the way we eat. Finals round will be on 8 June, 2022.
We’d also like to congratulate the 6 teams that made it to the final round of the competition, which will be held in June.
|Team A9 (National Junior College)
Febiola Aurelia Wijaya (from At-Sunrice Global Chef Academy)
|Team A11 (Temasek Junior College)
Peter Gregory Hosler IV
Tuan Phong Nguyen
|Team A14 (Victoria Junior College)
Ong Rui En
Chinnakonda Sreeranjith Devasreshtha
Putra Purwanto (from At-Sunrice Global Chef Academy)
|Team B6 (Republic Polytechnic)
Yu Wen Qian
Wong Jin Rong
|Team B8 (Republic Polytechnic)
|Team B11 (Singapore Polytechnic)
Chong Ing Kai
Yew Zi Hon
Celine Jessica Tanoto (from At-Sunrice Global Chef Academy)