Chen Jia Jia
Computer Vision, Electronics Engineering
Dr Chen Jia Jia received his BEng (Hons) and PhD from the School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Nanyang Technological University in 2004 and 2010, respectively. He started his R&D career in industry with 3M Innovation Singapore as a research engineer from 2008 to 2010. From 2010 to 2012, Dr. Chen was with the School of Engineering, Ngee Ann Polytechnic. Since April 2012, he has been with Singapore University of Technology and Design where he is currently a Senior Lecturer. Dr Chen’s research interests include digital filter design, digital image fusion and 3D audio signal processing.
While conducting research, Dr Chen has led and participated in academic activities. He was the Web Chair, member of the organizing committee of 10th Asia-Pacific Computer Systems Architecture Conference 2005. He was an invited speaker at IEEE Circuits and Systems Singapore Chapter Graduated Students Workshop 2007. He served as Technical Program Committee member of European Signal Processing Conference 2014 and the Third IEEE International Conference on Multimedia Big Data 2017. He has been the Associate Editor of EURASIP Journal on Embedded Systems, Springer, since 2016.
- PhD Nanyang Technological University, 2010
- BEng (Hons) Nanyang Technological University, 2004
Dr Chen’s current research interests are digital filter design and synthesis, digital signal processing, digital image fusion and spatial audio signal processing.
Recently Funded Research Projects
- Principal Investigator, SUTD-MIT International Design Center. Design and Development of Audio Source Localizing and Tracking Robot, May 2017 – April 2018.
- Principal Investigator, SUTD-MIT International Design Center. New Spatial Audio Processing Algorithm for Audio Sources Isolation and Localization, Dec. 2015 – Jan. 2017. (Completed)
- Principal Investigator, SUTD-MIT International Design Center. Design of Low Power Modulated Filter Banks for EEG Feature Extraction, Sept. 2014 – Nov. 2015. (Completed)
- Collaborator, MOE Tier 1, Public Physical Unclonable Function for Secure Field Programmable Gate Array Intellectual Property Core Licensing and Configuration, Dec. 2014 – Nov. 2017.
- Principal Investigator, SUTD-MIT International Design Center. Design methodology for efficient programmable digital FIR filters, August 2013 – July 2014. (Completed)
- Digital Signal Processing (EPD Term 7)
- Digital System Laboratory (EPD Term 6)
- Kinematics (Freshmore)
- Electromagnetism (Freshmore)
- Best Reviewer Award from European Signal Processing Conference (EUSIPCO), 2014.
- Nanyang Technological University Teaching Assistantship award, 2004-2008
- 3M Circle of Technical Excellence and Innovation (CTE&I) Award, 2009
- Student paper Travel Grant Award, ISCAS 2006
Recent Book Chapter (*corresponding author)
- Yingxiang Sun and Jiajia Chen*, “A New Weighted Decision Making Method for Accurate Sound Source Localization,” in Advances in Intelligent Systems and Interactive Applications, Scientific Publishing Services, Springer Nature, Chapter No: 83, DOI:10.1007/978-3-319-69096-4_83, In Press, 2017.
- Jiajia Chen* and Chip-Hong Chang, “Double-base number system and its application in FIR filter design,” in Embedded Systems Design with Special Arithmetic and Number Systems, Springer International Publishing AG, ISBN: 978-3-319-49741-9, Pages: 277-310, Switzerland, March 2017.
Recent Papers (*corresponding author)
- Yingxiang Sun, Jiajia Chen*, Chau Yuen and Susanto Rahardja, “Indoor Sound Source Localization with Probabilistic Neural Network,” accepted by IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, December 2017.
- Jiajia Chen, Chip-Hong Chang*, Jiatao Ding, Rui Qiao and Mathias Faust, “Tap Delay-and-Accumulate Cost Aware Coefficient Synthesis Algorithm for the Design of Area-Power Efficient FIR Filters,” accepted by IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems I, July 2017.
- Jiajia Chen, Chip-Hong Chang, Yujia Wang, Juan Zhao and Susanto Rahardja*, “New Hardware and Power Efficient Sporadic Logarithmic Shifters for DSP Applications,” accepted by IEEE Transactions on Computer-Aided-Designs, July 2017.
- S. Liu, Jiajia Chen*, Chip-Hong Chang and Ye Ai, “A New Accurate and Fast Homography Computation Algorithm for Sports and Traffic Video Analysis,” accepted by IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, July 2017.
- Jiajia Chen*, Jinghong Tan, Chip-Hong Chang and Feng Feng, “A New Cost-Aware Sensitivity-Driven Algorithm for the Design of FIR Filters,” IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems I: Regular Papers, vol. 64, no. 6, pp. 1588 – 1598, June 2017.
- Shumin Liu, Jiaxuan Zhang and Jiajia Chen*, “Decision Map Refinement by Dynamic Programming for Multi-focus Image Fusion,” accepted by IEEE Asia-Pacific Signal and Information Processing Association Annual Summit and Conference, Aug. 2017.
- Y. Sun and Jiajia Chen*, “A New Weighted Decision Making Method for Accurate Sound Source Localization”, accepted by The 2nd International Conference on Intelligent and Interactive Systems and Applications, June 2017.
- S. Liu and Jiajia Chen*, “A New Hybrid Multi-focus Image Fusion Algorithm by Dual DWT and Focused Region Decision Map,” IEEE Asia-Pacific Signal and Information Processing Association Annual Summit and Conference, pp. 1-7, DOI: 10.1109/APSIPA.2016.7820864, Dec. 2016.
- J. Zhao, Y. Wang, Jiajia Chen* and F. Feng, “A New Area-efficient FIR Filter Design Algorithm by Dynamic Programming,” IEEE European Signal Processing Conference, pp. 1853 – 1856, DOI: 10.1109/EUSIPCO.2016.7760569, Aug. 2016.
- J. Ding, Jiajia Chen* and Chip-Hong Chang, “A New Paradigm of Common Subexpression Elimination by Unification of Addition and Subtraction,” IEEE Transactions on Computer-aided Design of Integrated Circuits and Systems, vol. 35, no. 10, pp. 1605 – 1617, Oct. 2016.
- F. Feng, Jiajia Chen* and Chip-Hong Chang, “Hypergraph Based Minimum Arborescence Algorithm for the Optimization and Reoptimization of Multiple Constant Multiplications,” IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems I: Regular Papers, vol. 63, no. 2, pp. 233-244, Feb. 2016.
- J. Tan and Jiajia Chen*, “Low Complexity and Quasi-Linear Phase IIR Filters Design Based on Iterative Convex Optimization,” IEEE Asia-Pacific Conference on Circuits and Systems, pp. 603 – 606, DOI: 10.1109/APCCAS.2016.7804042, Dec. 2016.
- Jiajia Chen*, Chip-Hong Chang, Feng Feng, Weiao Ding and Jiatao Ding, “Novel Design Algorithm for Low Complexity Programmable FIR Filters Based on Extended Double Base Number System,” IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems I: Regular Papers, vol. 62, no. 1, pp. 224-233, Jan. 2015.
- Jiajia Chen* and Jiatao Ding, “New Algorithm for Design of Low Complexity Twiddle Factor Multipliers in Radix-2 FFT,” IEEE ISCAS, pp. 958-961, May 2015.
- W. Ding and Jiajia Chen*, “Design of Low Complexity Programmable FIR Filters Using Multiplexers Array Optimization,” IEEE ISCAS, pp. 2960-2963, May 2015.
- Y. Wang and Jiajia Chen*, “New Design for Low Complexity and Low Power Partial Programmable Shifters,” IEEE ASICON, pp. 1-4, DOI: 10.1109/ASICON.2015.7516931, Nov. 2015.
- Y. Wang and Jiajia Chen*, “New Design Algorithm for Low Complexity Programmable Shifters by Integer Partition,” International Researcher Club Conference on Science, Engineering and Technology, May, 2015.
- F. Feng and Jiajia Chen*, “Design Automations of Efficient Complexity Estimation for Digital Integrated Circuit Design,” International Researcher Club Conference on Science, Engineering and Technology, May, 2015.
Members in the team
Mr. Sun Yingxiang, PhD Student Researcher. (Spatial audio isolation and localization)
Mr. Liu Shumin, PhD Student Researcher. (Digital image fusion and homography)
Mr. Qiao Rui, IDC Undergraduate Research Assistant. (Image processing for homography)
Mr. Deng Gelei, IDC Undergraduate Research Assistant. (IIR digital filter design)
Mr. Zhang Jiaxuan, IDC Undergraduate Research Assistant. (linear programming and optimization)
Mr. Ding Jiatao, graduated in Aug. 2016.
Mr. Feng Feng, graduated in Aug. 2016.
Miss. Zhao Juan, graduated in Jul. 2017.
Miss. Wang Yujia, graduated in Aug. 2017.
Fully funded PhD student position is available. Please contact Dr. Chen at email@example.com for more details.