Telephone: +65 6499 8754
Room Number: 1.402.13
Design Science,Mechanical Engineering
Pillar / Cluster: Engineering Product Development
Before joining SUTD in 2015, Arlindo brings with him 24 years of teaching and research experience at the Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, University of Lisbon (UL), Portugal, where he taught Materials, Design and other Engineering related topics at all levels of higher education. He has written 2 books and co-edited 2 more, published over 100 articles in journals, conferences and book chapters, and filed over 50 patents with his students on innovative designs. He was also a Senior Materials Education consultant at Granta Design Ltd, Cambridge, UK, and is an active member of PDMA, ASEE, ASME, DS and SPEE.
- PhD in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Lisbon, Portugal, 2001
- MSc in Mechanical Engineering from the Technical University of Lisbon, Portugal, 1994
- Licenciatura (5 years Bachelor) in Mechanical Engineering from the Technical University of Lisbon, Portugal, 1991
His current research interests rest on design methods and techniques, product design and development, engineering education, creativity, materials selection methodologies, renewable composites, cost modelling and management of uncertainty in design.
Awards & Achievements
- Professor of Excellence at the University of Lisbon in 2011, 2013 and 2014. The distinction applies only to those who excel, according to the students evaluations on the three domains under evaluation: benefit from face-to-face learning, pedagogic capacity and interaction with students.
- MIT-Portugal Educational Innovation Award 2009. This Award was based on student course evaluations, as well as the Coordinators’ assessment of the overall contribution to educational innovation and commitment to pedagogical issues during the 2007-2008 and 2008-2009 academic years. Citation in the award: “Professor Arlindo Silva has shaped the Product Design and Development (PDD) course into one of the MIT-Portugal Program’s most visible examples of educational innovation and of the effective coupling of education and research. Student evaluations of Prof. Silva cite his hard work to bring the course’s lectures and project work together, and give him the highest faculty rating for the Fall 2008 term”.
- Varanda, A., Leite, M., Silva, A., Vaz, M.F., Ribeiro, A.R., Mechanical properties and water absorption of surface modified ABS 3D printed by fused deposition modelling. Submitted to Rapid Prototyping Journal in April 2016. Accepted for publication in December 2016 with minor changes. In press.
- Gaspar, J., Fontul, M., Henriques, E., Silva, A., Haptics of in-car radio buttons and its relationship with engineering parameters. International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics 59:2 (2017) 29-45. DOI
- Gaspar, J., Fontul, M., Henriques, E., Ribeiro, A., Silva, A., Valverde, N., Psychoacoustics of in-car switch buttons: From feelings to engineering parameters. Applied Acoustics 110 (2016) 280-296. DOI
- Carvalho, I., Costa, P.L., Simões, R., Silva, A., Silva, S., Qualitative analysis of vehicles needs and perceptions towards the adoption of a reconfigurable vehicle. Research in Transportation Business & Management 18 (2016) 85-104. DOI
- Leite, M., Silva, A., Henriques, E., Madeira, J.F.A., Materials selection for a set of multiple parts considering manufacturing costs and weight reduction with structural isoperformance using direct multisearch optimization. Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization 52:4 (2015) 635-644. DOI
- Silva, A., Fontul, M., Henriques, E., Teaching design in the first years of a mechanical engineering degree: methods, issues and future perspectives. European Journal of Engineering Education. 40:1 (2015) 1-13. DOI
- Fernandes, J., Silva, A., Henriques, E., Moss, M. A., Requirements change in complex technical systems: an empirical study of root causes. Research in Engineering Design 26:1 (2015) 37-55. DOI
- Koronis, G., Silva, A., Soares, A., Development of green composites reinforced with ramie fabrics: effect of aging on mechanical properties of coated and uncoated specimens. Fibers and Polymers 15:12 (2014) 2618-2624. DOI
- Gaspar, J., Fontul, M., Henriques, E., Silva, A., User satisfaction modeling framework for automotive audio interfaces. International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics 44:5 (2014) 662-674. DOI
- Fernandes, J., Silva, A., Henriques, E., Moss, M. A., A method for imprecision management in complex product development. Research in Engineering Design 25 (2014) 309-324. DOI
- Furtado, S., Araújo, A. L., Silva, A., Alves, C., Ribeiro, A. M. R., Natural fibre-reinforced composite parts for automotive applications. International Journal of Automotive Composites 1:1 (2014) 18-38. DOI
- Marques, P., Silva, A., Henriques, E., Magee, C. L., A descriptive framework of the design process from a dual cognitive-engineering perspective. International Journal of Design Creativity and Innovation 2:3 (2014) 142-164. DOI
- Silva, A., Fry, M., Arimoto, K., Ashby, M.F., Tradition and Innovation in Materials Education for Engineering Students. Journal of the Japanese Society for Engineering Education 61:2 (2013) 48-53
- Peças, P., Ribeiro, I., Silva, A., Henriques, E., Comprehensive approach for informed life cycle-based Materials Selection. Materials & Design 43 (2013) 220-232. DOI
- Koronis, G., Silva, A., Fontul, M., Green composites: a review of adequate materials for automotive application. Composites Part B: Engineering 44:1 (2013) 120-127. DOI
- Carvalho, I., Baier, T., Simões, R., Silva, A., Reducing fuel consumption through modular vehicle architectures. Applied Energy 93 (2012) 556-563. DOI
- Silva, A., Faria, L., Two approaches to design teaching in a mechanical engineering curriculum. International Journal of Engineering Education 28:2 (2012) 474-483
- Alves, C., Dias, A. P. S., Diogo, A.C., Ferrão, P. M. C., Luz, S. M., Silva, A. J., Reis, L., Freitas, M., Eco-Composite: the effects of the superficial treatments of jute fibers on the mechanical and environmental performance of the composite materials. Journal of Composite Materials, 45:5 (2011) 573-589. DOI
- Dori, Y. J., Silva, A., Assessing International Product Design & Development Graduate Courses: The MIT-Portugal as a Case in Point. Advances in Engineering Education, 2:2, Summer (2010).
- Alves, C., Ferrão, P. M. C., Silva, A. J., Reis, L. G., Freitas, M., Rodrigues, L. B., Alves, D. E. Ecodesign of automotive components making use of natural jute fiber composites. Journal of Cleaner Production 18 (2010) 313-327. DOI
- Silva, J.M., Devezas, T., Silva, A., Gil, L., Nunes, C., Franco, N., Exploring the use of Cork Based Composites for Aerospace Applications. Materials Science Forum, 636-637 (2010) 260-265. Artigo seleccionado da conferência Materiais 2009. DOI
- Castro, O., Silva, J.M., Devezas, T., Silva, A., Gil, L., Cork Agglomerates as an Ideal Core Material in Lightweight Structures. Materials & Design 31:1 (2010) 425-432. DOI
- Henriques, E., Peças P., Silva, A. (Editors), Technology and Manufacturing Process Selection: the Product Life Cycle Perspective. Springer, January 2014. 325 pages. ISBN 978-1447155430.
- Silva, A., Simões, R (Editors), Handbook of Research on Trends in Product Design and Development: Technological and Organizational Perspectives. IGI-Global (Business Science Reference). July 2010. 550 pages. ISBN 978-1615206179.
Selected book chapters
- Carvalho, H., Raposo, A., Ribeiro, I., Peças, P., Silva, A., Henriques, E., Influence of the use of natural fibres in composite materials assessed on a life cycle perspective. Chapter 14 in Handbook of Composites from Renewable Materials, vol. 6: Polymeric composites (2017) Thakur, V. K., Thakur, M. K., Kessler, M. R. (Editors), Wiley. ISBN 978-1-119-22380-1
- Koronis, G., Furtado, S., Silva, A., Applications of green composite materials. Chapter 10 in Biodegradable Green Composites (2016) Kalia S. (Editor), John Wiley & Sons, pp312-337. ISBN 978-1118911099. DOI
- Silva, A., Materials as a bridge between science, engineering, and design. Chapter 15 in Recent Developments in Materials Science and Corrosion Engineering Education (2015), Lim, H.L. (Editor), IGI-Global. ISBN 9781466681835. DOI
- Infante, V., Silva, A., The role of digital libraries in the teaching of materials science and engineering. Chapter 10 in Recent Developments in Materials Science and Corrosion Engineering Education (2015), Lim, H.L. (Editor), IGI-Global. ISBN 9781466681835. DOI
- Leite, M., Henriques, E., Silva, A., On the influence of material selection decisions on second order cost factors. Chapter 4 in Technology and Manufacturing Process Selection: the Product Life Cycle Perspective (2014), Henriques, E., Peças P., Silva, A. (Editors), Springer, pp 59-79. ISBN 978-1-4471-5543-0. DOI
- Fernandes, J., Henriques, E., Silva, A., A method for managing uncertainty levels during complex product development. Chapter 9 in Complex Systems Design and Management. (2014), Ed. Aiguier, M., Caseau, Y., Krob, D., Rauzy, A., Springer, pp 113-124. ISBN 978-3-319-02811-8. DOI
PhD Theses supervised
- Alvaro Soto, Methodology for the Architecting of Complex Manufacturing Systems: An Engineering System Approach, 2016.
- Elçin Calado, Materials Selection in the Early Stages of Product Development, 2016.
- Irene Carvalho, Opportunities in Passenger Cars Design for Improved Eco-effectiveness: An Engineering Systems Approach, 2016.
- João Fernandes, Requirements Change in Complex Product Development: Understanding Causes, Managing Uncertainty and Planning for Change, 2015.
- Samuel Furtado, Experimental Characterization of Natural Fibre composites under UV degradation, 2015.
- Georgios Koronis, A Green Composite as a Hood Part of a Buggy Vehicle, 2014.
- Marco Leite, Techno-economic evaluation in materials selection for multiple parts under OEM-Tier relations considering ilities and economies of scale, 2012.
- Pedro Marques, Creativity in Product Development: A contribution to the understanding of front-end design, 2012.
- António Santos, The design of one-off products developed in SME’s, 2011.
Informed Design Lab (IDL)
The Informed Design Lab (IDL) is an informal gathering of faculty, researchers and students with common interests in the areas of design process, design practice and design research. From its inception in January 2017, the Lab's goal is to foster the design practice and research together with companies through the development of tools and methods. With that objective, we will seek funding from both governmental agencies and companies and will hire and support research staff within research and consultancy projects at the International Design Center. The Lab involves researchers from diverse backgrounds with the aim of fostering interdisciplinary thinking and cross-pollination. The areas of interest to the Lab include, but are not limited to: design methods and techniques, product design and development processes and practices, design research, creativity, materials selection methodologies, renewable composites, cost modelling and management of uncertainty in design.
On-going (and under review) research projects
- Applying Social Science Methods to Analyse the Impact of Input Data on the Design Outcomes from Student Designers
This research project is funded by the International Design Center, and started in January 2017. It will run until December 2019, and will look into the ways in which a design brief will affect the design outcome in various contexts. The collaborators come from multiple pillars at SUTD and from MIT and the University of Lisbon, emphasizing the interdisciplinary nature of the project. There is one open position for a research assistant under this project, to start in January 2018 (please see below for details).
- Security by Design for Interconnected Critical Infrastructures
The objective of the proposed collaborative work is to advance the state of the art in the design of secure interconnected public infrastructures. The focus is on Security-by-Design. While security-by-design is not a new concept, the approach proposed here and its context, are and especially so in the context of interconnected public infrastructure. The objective will be met through the following key steps: (a) modeling based on abstraction from system design for security analysis, (b) impact and response analysis across interconnected infrastructures using the model, and (c) upgrading of the initial design to improve system resilience to cyber attacks. .
- Design and robotic fabrication of 3D composites
This research project is funded by the Digital Manufacturing and Design (DManD) Center, and started in September 2016. It will run until March 2019, and will study a way of manufacturing 3D composites using robotics, additive and subtractive manufacturing in novel ways. An interdisciplinary team of researchers coming from Architecture and Engineering will develop this project.
- New tools and approaches to optimize the impact of design for environmental awareness
This research project is under review by the Ministry of Education (Tier 1 grant call February 2017). It involves collaboration across pillars at SUTD and will run for 2 years. There will be research opportunities for Post-Docs and research assistants if funding is granted.
Research assistant for the research project on Applying Social Science Methods to Analyse the Impact of Input Data on the Design Outcomes from Student Designers. The position will be for two years, starting in January 2018. An MSc/MA holder in Social Sciences (preferred) or Engineering, with “can do” attitude, able to deal with the collection and analysis of data from ideation sessions is compulsory. Special attention will be given to the candidate’s ability to work with quantitative data and statistical analyses. The successful candidate will work closely with a team of individuals from Architecture, Engineering and Social Sciences to help setup the experimental protocol for running the ideation sessions. Proficiency in design of experiments is preferred, but candidates with the ability to learn in multidisciplinary environments are required. Interested candidates should send a CV and cover letter to, or seek further information from Arlindo Silva.
PhD applicants are welcome! If you are looking for a PhD scholarship to develop research in any of the Lab's pertinent areas, there are funding opportunities here. Do let us know of your interest in applying for a scholarship. We will assess the alignment of your interests with those of the Lab and endorse your application.