Chen Zaichun, Herman
Telephone: +65 6499 4514
Room Number: 1.502-32
Pillar / Cluster: Engineering Product Development, Science and Math
Dr. Chen Zaichun received his Bachelor of Science in Physics from Xiamen University in 2008. He was an undergraduate exchange student in the University of Hong Kong from September to December, 2007 financed by Li & Fung Group, Hong Kong. After that he continued his study in Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, National University of Singapore and obtained his PhD degree in 2012. His research interest includes advanced optics design, fabrication, and characterization.
Before joining SUTD, Zaichun worked at Institute for Infocomm Research (I²R), A*STAR as a scientist on the design of optical devices in terahertz frequency band. His expertise lies in the fields of terahertz devices design, metamaterials, and laser micro/nano fabrication. His research results have attracted wide media coverage including BBC, Strait Times, and New York Times, etc.
- PhD in Electrical Engineering, National University of Singapore, Singapore, 2012
- Bachelor in Physics, Xiamen University, China, 2008
Awards & Achievements
- Prestigious Engineering Achievement Award, Institution of Engineers Singapore, 2016
- Chinese Government Award for Outstanding Self-Financed Students Abroad 2011, Ministry of Education of the People’s Republic of China, April 2012.
- Li & Fung Scholarship, Li & Fung Group, Hong Kong, September 2007.
- Xiamen International Marathon Game, finished in 5h 40m, Xiamen, China, March 2006.
- Z.C. Chen, M. Rahmani, Y.D. Gong, T.C. Chong and M.H. Hong, Realization of Variable Three-dimensional Terahertz Metamaterials Tubes for Passive Broadband Resonance Tunability, Advanced Materials, DOI: 10.1002/adma.201104575 (2012).
- Z.C. Chen, M.H. Hong, N.R. Han, Y.D. Gong, and T.C. Chong, Multilayer Metamaterials on Flexible Substrate for Strong Terahertz Resonance Applications, Optical Materials Express, 1, 2, 151 (2011).
- N.R. Han, Z.C. Chen, C.S. Lim, B. Ng, and M.H. Hong, Broadband Multi-layer Terahertz Metamaterials Design and Fabrication on Flexible Substrates, Optics Express, 19, 8, 6990 (2011). (Highlighted by Nature Photonics on page 251 of volume 5, May 2011.)
- Z.C. Chen, M.H. Hong, C.S. Lim, N.R. Han, L.P. Shi, and T.C. Chong, Parallel Laser Microfabrication of Large-area Asymmetric Split Ring Resonator Metamaterials and its Structural Tuning for Terahertz Resonance, Applied Physics Letters, 96, 181101 (2010).
- Z.C. Chen, M.H. Hong, H. Dong, Y.D. Gong, C.S. Lim, L.P. Shi, and T.C. Chong, Parallel Laser Microfabrication of Terahertz Metamaterials and its Polarization Dependent Transmission Property, Applied Physics A, 101, 33-36 (2010).
The full publication list can be found in http://scholar.google.com.sg/citations?user=VUPYwFkAAAAJ&hl=en