Chua Chee Kai
Professor, Head of Pillar and Cheng Tsang Man Chair Professor
Telephone: +65 6303 6662
Additive Manufacturing (3D Printing)
Pillar / Cluster: Engineering Product Development, Engineering Product Development
- PhD, Nanyang Technological University, 1996
- MSc, National University of Singapore, 1989
- BEng (Hons) Cl 1, National University of Singapore, 1985
Prof Chua’s research areas are in CAD/CAM, 3D Printing & Rapid Prototyping or Additive Manufacturing. He is the foremost expert in Singapore in this area and has won the prestigious International Freeform and Additive Manufacturing Excellence (FAME) Award 2018, sponsored by the International Solid Freeform Fabrication (SFF) Symposium – An Additive Manufacturing Conference. He is also the most published and most cited scientist in “Rapid Prototyping / Additive Manufacturing” (3D Printing) according to the Web of Science. He has published in more than 400 international journals, conference papers, books, book chapters and patents.
Prof Chua has also obtained more than S$60 M grants, including as PI, S$42 M for the Singapore Centre for 3D Printing, S$9.9 M for the Nanyang Additive Manufacturing Centre and S$5.5 M for the Institute for Sports Research. He is currently the Editorial board member of International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Rapid Prototyping Journal & Journal of Materials Processing Technology and Editor-in-Chief of Virtual & Physical Prototyping, as well as Editor-in-Chief of International Journal of Bioprinting.
He was previously from Nanyang Technological University (NTU) where he was a Full Professor and previous Chair of the School of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering. He was also the Executive Director of the Singapore Centre for 3D Printing from 2014 to 2019.
Professor Chua is an active contributor to the additive manufacturing (AM) field for over 29 years. He began his journey into AM in 1990. Now, his ongoing research are concerned mainly with powder bed fusion processes such as selective laser sintering and selective laser melting, bioprinting, electronics printing, 4D printing and food printing. He has made a number of major contributions in these areas. Specifically, his re-design and re-modelling of additive manufacturing processes for fabrication of innovative products and devices such tissue engineering scaffolds are highly regarded by the scientific community.
Prizes and Awards
|1||He has won the prestigious International Freeform and Additive 2018 Manufacturing Excellence (FAME) Award 2018, sponsored by the International Solid Freeform Fabrication (SFF) Symposium – An Additive Manufacturing Conference.||2018|
|2||He was presented with Hwa Chong Distinguished Partners Awards 2015||Hwa Chong Institution||2015|
|3||He was presented the Nanyang Alumni Achievement Award by the Minister of Education and President of NTU in 2014.||NTU||2014|
|4||He was presented the Public Service (Silver) Administration Award by the President of Singapore for the 2014 National Day Awards||Prime Minister’s Office||2014|
|5||His PhD student, Ms Loh Loong Ee, Denise, won the Best paper Award for a presentation entitled “Effect of laser beam profile on melt track in Selective Laser Melting” at the 6th International VRAP
Conference on VRAP.
|6th International Conference on VRAP||2013|
|6||He was presented the Academic Career Award at the 6th Conference on Advanced Research in Virtual and Rapid Prototyping (VRAP), Leiria, Portugal, 1 to 5 Oct 2013, for VRAP his contributions to 3D Printing/Additive Manufacturing.||6th International Conference on VRAP||2013|
LATEST JOURNAL PUBLICATIONS
- Pei Zhuang*, Alfred Xuyang Sun, Jia An*, Chee Kai Chua, Sing Yian Chew, “3D Neural Tissue Models: From Spheroids to Bioprinting”, Biomaterials, Volume 154, pp 113-133, Febuary 2018, Q1.
- Amelia Yilin Lee*, Jia An*, Chee Kai Chua, “Two-Way 4D Printing: A Review on the Reversibility of 3D-Printed Shape Memory Materials”, Engineering, Vol. 3, Issue 5, pp 663 -674, 9 November 2017, Q1.
- Zhongji Sun*, Xipeng Tan*, Shu Beng Tor, Chee Kai Chua, “Simultaneously enhanced strength and ductility for 3D-printed stainless steel 316L by selective laser melting”, NPG Asia Materials, Volume 10, Pages 127 – 136, 2018, Q1.
- Shangqin Yuan*, Fei Shen*, Chee Kai Chua, Kun Zhou, “Polymeric composites for powder-based additive manufacturing: Materials and applications”, Progress in Polymer Science, Volume 91, Pages 141-168, 2019, Q1.
- Shangqin Yuan*, Chee Kai Chua, Kun Zhou, “3D-Printed Mechanical Metamaterials with High Energy Absorption”, Advanced Materials Technologies, 4(3), p.1800419., 2019, Q1.
- Jingjing Wang*, Wen Jin Wu*, Wei Jing, Xipeng Tan*, Gui Jun Bi, Shu Beng Tor, Kah Fai Leong, Chee Kai Chua, Erjia Liu, “Improvement of densification and microstructure of ASTM A131 EH36 steel samples additively manufactured via selective laser melting with varying laser scanning speed and hatch spacing”, Materials Science and Engineering: A, 746, 99. 300-313, 2019, Q1.
- Hong Wei Tan*, Jia An*, Chee Kai Chua, Tuan Tran, “Metallic Nanoparticle Inks for 3D Printing of Electronics”, Advanced Electronic Materials, 5(5), 1800831, 2019, Q1.
- Wenhui Yu*, Swee Leong Sing*, Chee Kai Chua and Xuelei Tian, “Influence of re-melting on surface roughness and porosity of AlSi10Mg parts fabricated by selective laser melting”, Journal of Alloys and Compounds, Volume 792, 5 July 2019, Pages 574-581, Q1.
- Siew Li Voon*, Jia An*, Gladys Wong, Yi Zhang, Chee Kai Chua, “3D food printing: a categorised review of inks and their development”, Virtual and Physical Prototyping, 14 (03), p.203-217, 2019, Q1.
- W.H.Yu*, S.L.Sing*, C.K.Chua, C.N.Kuo, X.L.Tian, “Particle-Reinforced Metal Matrix Nanocomposites Fabricated by Selective Laser Melting: A State of the Art Review”, Progress in Materials Science, 104, pp 330-379, 2019, Q1.
BOOKS AND BOOK CHAPTERS
- Chua C. K. , Wong C.H. and Yeong W.Y., “Standards, Quality Control and Measurement Sciences in 3D Printing and Additive Manufacturing”, Elsevier, 2017.
- Chua C. K. , Murukeshan V.M. and Kim Y. J., “Lasers in Manufacturing and 3D Printing”, World Scientific, 2017.
- Chua C. K. and Leong K. F., “3D Printing and Additive Manufacturing: Principles and Applications”, 5th edition, World Scientific, 2017.
- Chua C. K. and Yeong W. Y., “Bioprinting: Principles and Applications”, World Scientific, Dec 2014.
- Chua C. K. and Leong K. F., “3D Printing and Additive Manufacturing: Principles and Applications”, 4 th edition, World Scientific, Aug 2014.
- Chua CK, Lee MY, Guan YL, Chen JP, Luo KQ, Lai CS, Kwoh CK, Lee JD, Chian KS and Wu SL, “Proceedings of the First International Symposium on Bioengineering”, Research Publishing Services, 2011, Singapore.
- Chua C. K., Leong K. F. and Lim C. S., “Rapid Prototyping: Principles and Applications”, 3rd edition, World Scientific, Jan 2010.
- Chua C. K., Leong K. F. and Lim C. S., “Rapid Prototyping: Principles and Applications”, Chinese Edition, 2nd edition, World Scientific and Gau Lih, May 2005.
- Chua C. K., Leong K. F. and Lim C. S., “Rapid Prototyping: Principles and Applications”, 2nd edition, World Scientific, Feb 2003.
- Chua Chee Kai and Leong Kah Fai, “Rapid Prototyping: Principles and Applications in Manufacturing”, Chinese Edition, John Wiley and Liu-Ho Publication Co. Ltd, 1998.
- Chua Chee Kai and Leong Kah Fai, “Rapid Prototyping: Principles and Applications in Manufacturing”, John Wiley, 1997.
- Leong KF, Liu D, Chua CK, “Tissue Engineering Applications of Additive Manufacturing”, Comprehensive Materials Processing, Volume 10, Editor: S.H. Masood, Elsevier Publishing, pp 251-264, May 2014.
- Chua CK, Leong KF and An J, “Introduction to Rapid Prototyping”, Rapid Prototyping of Biomaterials: Principles and Applications, Editor: Roger Narayan, Woodhead Publishing pp 1 – 15, Feb 2014.
- Cai SY, Xi JT and Chua CK, “A Novel Bone Scaffold Design Approach Based on Shape Function and All-Hexahedral Mesh Refinement”, Computer Aided Tissue Engineering, Humana Press, Chapter 3, pp 45-55, 2012.
- Liu A, Chua CK and Leong KF, “Rapid Tooling in Manufacturing”, Handbook of Manufacturing Technologies, Springer Reference Series, Accepted for Publication, 2012.
- Sudarmadji N, Chua CK and Leong KF, “The Development of Computer-Aided System for Tissue Scaffolds (CASTS) System for Functionally Graded Tissue-Engineering Scaffolds”, Computer Aided Tissue Engineering, Humana Press, Chapter 7, pp 111-123, 2012.
- C K Chua, K F Leong and K H Tan, “Specialized Fabrication Process: Rapid Prototyping”, Biomedical Materials”, Springer Verlag, Chapter 18, pp 493-523, 2009.
- Naing MW, Chua CK and Leong KF, “Computer Aided Tissue Engineering Scaffolds”, Virtual and Rapid Prototyping in Medicine, Springer, Chapter 4, pp 67-85, 2008.
- Chua Chee Kai, Lim Chu Sing and Du Zhaohui, “Computer Design and Manufacturing Systems, Techniques and Applications in Biomedical Systems”, Computational Methods in Biomaterials, Biotechnology and Biomedical Systems, Editor: Cornelius Leondes, Kluwer Academic Publishers (USA), Volume 2, Chapter 6, pp 181-221, 2003.
- Chua Chee Kai, and Chow Kin Yean, “Generation of Three Dimensional Shapes in CAD/CAM Systems Using Art-to-Part Technique”, Computer Aided Design, Engineering, Manufacturing Systems (CAD/CAE/CAM), Techniques and Applications, Editor: Cornelius Leondes, World Scientific, Volume 4, Chapter 1, pp 1 – 33, October 2003.
- Chua Chee Kai and Chou Siaw Meng, “Rapid Prototyping Technologies and Limitations”, Computer Aided Design, Engineering, Manufacturing Systems (CAD/CAE/CAM), Techniques and Applications, Editor: Cornelius Leondes, World Scientific, Volume 3 Optimization Methods, Chapter 5, pp 165 – 185, August 2003.
- Chua Chee Kai and Cheah Chi Mun, “Applied Intelligent Techniques in Assisted Surgery Planning”, Intelligence Systems, Techniques and Applications Volume 1: Implementation Techniques, Editor: Cornelius Leondes, CRC Press, pp 203 – 229, Chapter 8, Oct 2002.
- Chua Chee Kai, Jacob Gan, Tong Mei and Du Zhaohui, “Data Structure in Rapid Prototyping and Manufacturing”, Database and Data Communication Network Systems Techniques and Applications Volume 2, Editor: Cornelius Leondes, Elsevier Science (USA), Chapter 11, pp 367-416, 2002.
- Chua Chee Kai and Leong Kah Fai, “Rapid Prototyping: The Essential Link Between Design and Manufacturing”, Integrated Product and Process Development: Methods, Tools and Technologies, Editors: John M Usher, Utpal Roy and Hamid R Parsaei, John Wiley, pp 151 – 183, Chapter 6, 1998.
- Subramanian VENKATRAMAN, Scott Alexander IRVINE, CHUA Chee Kai, AGRAWAL Animesh, AN Jia, “Method For Preparing A Patterned Substrate And Use Thereof In Implants For Tissue Engineering”, Singapore Patent Application No. 10201404111V based on USA Provisional Application Nos. 61/846,773 and 61/846,761, 12 March 2018.
- TAN Hong Wei, TRAN Anh Tuan, CHUA Chee Kai, “2 Steps Sintering Technique For Printed Electronics Applications”, Singapore provisional patent application number 10201802027X, 12 March 2018.
- Chua Chee Kai, Zhou Kun, Yuan Shangqin, Vastola Guglielmo, Bai Jiaming, Wei Jun, Zhang Gang, Pei Qing Xiang, Cheung See Lin “Method to Calculate Part Shrinkage and Distortion in Selective Laser Sintering of Polyamide 12 Additive Manufacturing”, Filing Reference TD/171/16, 30 Mar 2017.
- Chua Chee Kai, Ratima Suntornnond, An Jia, Tan Yong Sheng, Yeong Wai Yee, Er Jie Kai “Free Standing Hollow 3D Bioprinted Structure from Highly Printable Bio-ink”, Filing Reference TD/362/16, 1 Mar 2017.
- Yuan Shangqin, Bai Jiaming, Chua Chee Kai, Zhou Kun, Wei Jun, “Method of Embedding Carbon Nanomaterials Into/Onto Polymeric Powders For Powder-Based Additive Manufacturing”, ETPL Ref : SRC/Z/09628, A *STAR SERC Grant No. 132 550 4106, 14 September 2016.
- Sun Zhongji, Sing Swee Leong, Chua Chee Kai, Liu Zhonghong Alexander, “Hopper For Powder Bed Fusion Additive Manufacturing”, PCT Patent Application No : PCT/SG2016/050346, July 2016.
- Tan Wen See, Lee Jian Yuan, An Jia, Chua Chee Kai, Chong Tzyy Haur, Anthony Gordon Fane, “Multi-Material Responsive Flow Promoters For Membrane Modules Via Additive Manufacturing Inventors”, SG Provisional Patent Application: TD/303/15 10201605558R, July 2016.
- Chua Chee Kai, Tan Wen See, Lee Jian Yuan, An Jia, Chong Tzyy Haur, Anthony Fane “Multi-material Flow Promoters with Hierarchical Structure via Additive Manufacturing”, Filing Reference TD/303/15, 18 Dec 2015.
- Chua Chee Kai, Sun Zhongji and Sing Swee Leong “Multi Material Hopper Design for Selective Laser Melting”, SG Provisional Patent Application: TD/145/15, Jul 2015.
- Subramanian Venkatraman, Scott Alexander Irvine, Agrawal Animesh, An Jia and Chua Chee Kai, “Method For Preparing A Patterned Substrate And Use Thereof In Implants For Tissue Engineering”, USA Patent No: US 2015/0024493 A1, published 22 January 2015, Granted: September 2017, Patent No. 9,700,653.
- Subramanian Venkatraman, Scott Alexander Irvine, Agrawal Animesh, An Jia and Chua Chee Kai, “Aligned Melt Spun Polymers for Cell Orientation to promote Stem Cell Differentiation towards ardiomyocytes and Use as a Tissue Engineering Scaffold”, NIEO Ref TD/087/13), USA patent filed on 6 March 2013.
- Subramanian Venkatraman, Chua Chee Kai, An Jia and Scott Alexander Irvine, “Scaffold for Vascular Prosthesis”, NIEO Ref : TD/078/13, USA patent filed on 6 March 2013.