Telephone: +65 6499 4605
Room Number: 1.502-30
Material Science,Design Science
Pillar / Cluster: Engineering Product Development, Science and Math
Obtained his bachelor of arts in chemistry at Rutgers University in New Jersey. As an undergraduate he carried out electropolymerization research under the supervision of Prof. Alexander Yacynych at Rutgers University, and in bionsensors under the supervision of Prof. Alexander Scheeline at the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign. After a short stint at Merck & Co. in Rawah, New Jersey, he pursued graduate studies at the Ohio State University, where he obtained a M.Sc. in analytical chemistry and a Ph.D. in molecular device fabrication under the supervision of Prof. Richard McCreery.
Subsequently, he joined Prof. David Bocian at the University of California, Riverside, where he studied molecular memory devices and metal/molecule/semiconductor interfaces which eventually led to technologies commercialized by Zettacore, Inc. Subsequently, he worked as a research scientist at the Institute of Bioengineering and Nanotechnology (IBN, Singapore) where he worked on integrating microfabrication techniques amenable to surface chemistry modification processes, bioimaging, and localized surface Plasmon resonance for DNA amplification. In 2012, he joined SUTD.
- Ph.D. Molecular Device Fabrication, The Ohio State University (2005).
- M.S. Analytical Chemistry, The Ohio State University (2002).
- B.A. Chemistry, Rutgers University (1999).
- Lecturer – Singapore University of Technology and Design (2012 – Present)
- Lecturer – California Polytechnic State University, CA, USA (2011 – 2012)
- Adjunct Professor – San Bernardino Valley College, CA, USA (2007)
- Graduate Teaching Assistant – The Ohio State University, OH, USA (1999 – 2002)
- Franklin Anariba. “Fabrication and Characterization of Molecular Junctions: A Robust Platform for Electron Transport Studies in Molecular Electronics.” VDM Verlag, Germany, 2010. ISBN (978-3-639-23379-7).
Photoluminescent Textiles Articles
- Sobhan, M.: Lebedev, A.; Chng, L. L.; Anariba, F. “Rapid Fabrication of Photoluminescent Electrospun Nanofibers without the Need of Chemical Polymeric Backbone Modifications.” J. of Nanomaterials, 2018, Vol 2018, 7 pages.
- Li, Y.; Gora, A.; Anariba, F.; Baji, A. “Enhanced Tensile Strength and Electrical Conductivity of Electrospun Polyacrylonitrile Yarns via Post-treatment.” Composites, 2018, doi:10.1002/pc.24920.
- PCT Application no: PCT/SG2018/050043. “Photoluminescent Electrospun Fibers.” Filed on 24 January 2018.
- Anariba, F.; Chng, L. L.; Abdullah, N. S.; Tay, F. E. H. “Synthesis, Optical Properties, and Bioapplications of the Aggregation-induced Emission of 2, 3, 4, 5-tetrapheylcyclopenta-2, 4-dieynyl benzene derivatives.” Mater. Chem. 2012, 22, 19203.
Novel Materials for Photocatalysis and Gas Sensing Articles
- Lebedev, A.; Anariba, F.; Li, X.; Leng, H. S. D.; Ping, W. “Ag/Ag2O/BiNbO4 Structure for Simultaneous Photocatalytic Degradation of Mixed Cationic and Anionic Dyes. 2019, Solar Energy, 178, 257.
- Lebedev, A.; Anariba, F.; Tan, J. C.; Li, X.; Wu, P. “A Review of Physiochemical and Photocatalytic Properties of Metal Oxides Against Escherichia Coli.” Photochem. Photobio. A: Chem. 2018, 360, 306.
- Lebedev, A.; Ma, G. H-H.; Anariba, F.; Li, X.; Lim, T. S. K.; Ng, F. C.; Wu, P. “Design and Fabrication of BiV(O, N) 4 p-n Homojunction Solid Solutions for Enhanced Methylene Blue Degradation via LED Light Irradiation.” Solar Energy, 2018, 160, 298.
- Xu, Q.; Sopiha, K..; Sobhan, M.; Anariba, F.; Ong, K. P.; Zheng, J. W.; Wu, P. “Tunable Electronic and Magnetism of SrTiO3/BiFeO3 (001) Superlattice: For Electrochemical Applications.” Phys. Lett., 2016, 108(1), 011602.
- Tan C. C. L.; Sopiha, K..; Leong, Y. F. H.; Choi, S.; Anariba, F.; Thio, R. “Lotus-like Effect for Metal Filings recovery and Particle Removal on Heated Metal Surfaces Using Leidenfrost Water Droplets.” Soft Matter, 2015, 11(27), 5400.
- Sobhan, M.; Xu, Q.; Akash, K.; Anariba, F.; Kim, S. S.; Wu, P. “O2 Sensing Dynamics of BiFeO3 Nanofibers: Effects of Minor Carrier Compensation.” Nanotechnology, 2015, 26(17), 175501.
- Q Xu, M Sobhan, F Anariba, JWC Ho, Z Chen, P Wu. “Transition Metal-Doped BiFeO3 nanofibers: Forecasting the Conductivity Limit.” Chem. Chem. Phys. 2014, 16, 23089.
- Xu, Q.; Sobhan, M.; Yang, Q.; Anariba, F.; Ong, K. P.; Wu, P. “The Role of Bi Vacancies in the Conduction Mechanism of BiFeO3: A First-Principles Approach.” Dalton Transactions, 2014, 43, 10787.
- Yang, Q.; Sobhan, M.; Ke, Q.; Anariba, F.; Ong, K. P.; Wu, P. “Simultaneous Reduction in Leakage Current and Enhancement in Magnetic Moment in BiFeO3 Nanofibers via Optimized Sn Doping.” Physica Status Solidi – Rapid Res. Lett., 2014, 8, 653.
- Sobhan, M.; Xu, Q.; Yang, Q.; Anariba, F.; Wu, P. “Tunable Atomic Termination in Nano-Necklace BiFeO3.” Phys. Lett. 2014, 104, 051606.
Design Thinking/Pedagogy Innovation Articles
- Tan, S. Y.; Hölttä-Otto, K.; Anariba, F. “Development and Implementation of Design-Based Learning Opportunities for Students to Apply Electrochemical Principles in a Designette.” J. Chem. Educ., 2019, 96(2), 256.
- Lu, X.; Anariba, F. “Fostering Innovation through an Active Learning Activity Inspired by the Baghdad Battery.” J. of Chem. Educ., 2014, 91, 1929.
SELECTED CONFERENCE PRESENTATIONS
- Voltage-driven chemical reactions at comet 67P. Anariba, F. The Electric Universe Conference 2017. Phoenix, Arizona, USA, 17-21 August 2017.
- Photoluminescence Electrospun Nanofiber Mats. Anariba, F. ICMAT 2017, 9th International Conference on Materials for Advanced Technologies. 18 – 23 June, 2017.
- Molecular Electronics. Anariba, F. IUMRS-ICA2015, 28 June-03 July, 2015.
- Tunable Atomic Termination in Nano-Necklace BiFeO3. Sobhan, M., Xu, Q., Wu, P., Anariba, F. NanoThailand, 2014, 26-28 November, 2014.
- Optical Properties and Potential Bioapplications of the Aggregation-Induced Emission of Fluorescent Dyes. 426th American Chemical Society (ACS) National Meeting, Indianapolis, Indiana, Chng L. L.; Anariba, F. USA, 8-12 September, 2013.
- Incorporating Design Science Elements into General Chemistry for Engineers and Architecture Students. Anariba, F. 15th Asian Chemical Congress, Singapore, 19 – 22 August, 2013.
- Optical Properties and Bioapplications of Fluorescent Dyes. Chng, L. L.; Anariba, F. 7th International Conference on Materials for Advance Technologies (ICMAT), Singapore, 30 June – 05 July, 2013.
- Cometary Electrochemistry. Anariba, F. The Electric Universe Conference 2013, Albuquerque, NM, USA, 03-06 January, 2013.
Current Research Interests (2019)
- Synthesis and characterization of photoluminescent electrospun nanofibers into yarns (On-going).
- Spectroscopic characterization (UV-Vis, Raman, Fluorescence) of aggregation-induced emission (AIEgen) species (On-going).
Novel Materials for Photocatalysis and Gas Sensing
- Synthesis and characterization of metal oxide materials for photocatalytic dye degradation (On-going).
- Graphene and Mica exfoliation for photocatalytic and gas sensing applications (On-going).
Design Thinking / Pedagogical Innovation
- Development of designettes at the interface of design science and electrochemical principles (On-going).
- Development of platforms/techniques to measure creativity objectively (On-going).