Telephone: +65 6499 4868
Bio-Medical Engineering,Electrical Engineering
Pillar / Cluster: Engineering Product Development
Group website: http://people.sutd.edu.sg/~huangshaoying/my-research-group/
Dr. Shaoying HUANG is an assistant professor at Singapore University of Technology and Design. She is an adjunct assistant professor at the department of Surgery, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National University of Singapore.
She is passionate for electromagnetics (EM) related research, applications, and teaching. Her expertise includes microwave/RF circuit designs, EM modelling, computational EM, magnetic resonance (MR) physics and engineering. Before joining SUTD, she was a SUTD-Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) postdoctoral fellow and worked in the MRI group at MIT. From Feb. 2010 to Sept. 2011, she worked on surface plasmonic problems using integral equation method in Professor Weng Cho Chew’s research group in the University of Hong Kong. She obtained her Ph.D. in Feb. 2011 from Nanyang Technological University in Singapore. During her Ph.D. studies, she was trained in Professor Jin Au Kong’s research group at MIT.
- Electromagnetic theories and applications
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
– New contrast mechanisms
– MRI safety, high field systems and applications
– MR engineering
- Microwave/RF devices, antennas
– Periodic structures (e.g. metamaterials, photonic band-gap structures, and electromagnetic band-gap structures) and their applications for wave guiding and frequency selecting
– Miniaturized antennas
– EMC and EMI of microwave integrated circuits
- Computational electromagnetics, especially the acceleration of calculations for periodic structures
- EM modeling for nanostructures
– Surface plasmonic circuits
– Surface plasmons, the applications to optical devices, theories and experiments
– Surface-enhanced Raman scattering, modeling and applications
- Postdoctoral fellow, SUTD-MIT, 2011-2013
- Postdoctoral fellow, the University of Hong Kong, 2009-2011
- PhD, electrical and electronic engineering (EEE), Nanyang Technological University (NTU), Singapore, 2011
- Singapore-MIT Alliance for Research and Technology (SMART) Innovation Grant, 2013-2016, PI
- SUTD Start-Up Research Grant, 2014-2017
- SUTD-Zhejiang University Research Grant, 2015-2018
- Chinese Government Award for Outstanding Self-Financed Students Abroad 2008 (2008年国家优秀自费留学生奖学金)
- ”Present Around the World“, Institute of Engineering and Technology (IET), 2007
– Silver Medal (Global Final)
– Gold Medal (Regional Final)
– Gold Medal (Regional competition)
- Young Persons’ Lecture Competition Singapore 07, Institute of Materials, East Asia
– The 2nd position (final)
– The winner (preliminary)
- [book chapter] E. Motovilova, and S. Y. Huang, “Magnetic materials for nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI),” Recent Advances in Magnetic Materials: Processing, Properties and Performance, Edited by Sam Zhang, CRC Press/Taylor & Francis, forthcoming 2016.
- E. Motovilova, J. Su, and S.Y.Huang, ‘Head Coil for 10.5 Tesla Magnetic Resonance Imaging Human Body Scanner,’ UKSim-AMSS 9th European Modelling Symposium on Mathematical Modelling and Computer Simulation, 2015.
- Z. H. Ren, L. Maréchal, W. Luo, J. Su, and S. Y. Huang, ‘Magnet Array for a Portable Magnetic Resonance Imaging System’, 2015 IEEE Microwave Theory and Techniques Society International Microwave Workshop Series on RF and Wireless Technologies for Biomedical and Healthcare Applications, 2015.
- J. Su, and S. Y. Huang, “The Design of a Compact NMR system,” 2015 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Workshop Series on Advanced Materials and Processes for RF and THz Applications, 2015.
- S. Y. Huang, L. Hou, and J. Wu, “Electrical Property Retrieval by Applying the Finite Element Method (FEM),” IEEE Transaction on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Volume 63, issue 8, page 2482-2490, June 2015.
- J. Su, B. Zheng, S. Li, and S. Y. Huang, “Further Study of the Effects of a Time-Varying Gradient Fields on Phase Maps – Theory and Experiments”, The International Society for Magnetic Resonance in Medicine (ISMRM) 23rd Annual Meeting & Exhibition 3291, 2015.
- J. Su, B. Zheng, S. Li, and S. Y. Huang, “The Effects of a Time-Varying Gradient Fields on Phase Maps – Theory and Experiments”, 3rd International Workshop on MRI Phase Contrast & Quantitative Susceptibility Mapping, 2014. The paper is awarded Young Investor Award.
- S. Y. Huang, “FEM for MRI-Based Electrical Property Mapping,” the 36th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC’14), 2014.
- S. Y. Huang, “Multi-input Localized Electrical Property Mapping,” the 36th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC’14), 2014.
- S. Y. Huang, E. Adalsteinsson, B. Bilgic, S. Foong, and L. L. Wald, “Localized Electrical Property Retrieval – Theories and Numerical Examples,” The International Society for Magnetic Resonance in Medicine (ISMRM) 21st Annual Meeting & Exhibition, 37, Salt Lake City, UT, USA, 20-26 April 2013
- S. Y. Huang, B-I. Wu, and S. Foong, “Surface-enhanced Raman Scattering (SERS) Enhancement Factor Distribution for Nanoparticles of Arbitrary Shapes Using Surface Integral Equation Method,” Journal of Applied Physics, 113, 044304, 2013.
- S. Y. Huang, W. C. Chew, Y. G. Liu, B.-I. Wu, and H. W. Choi, “A Pancake-shaped Nano-Aggregate for Focusing Surface Plasmons,” Journal of Applied Physics, 111, 034308, 2012
- S. Y. Huang and Y. H. Lee, “Susceptibility of an Electromagnetic BandGap Filter,” IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, vol. 52, no. 3, pp. 599-603, Aug., 2010
- S. Y. Huang, B.-I. Wu, B. Zhang, Y. H. Lee, Vladimir Liberman, and Mordechai Rothschild, “An analytical method to study the effects of a substrate in surface-enhanced Raman scattering,” Journal of Applied Physics, 106, 114306, Dec., 2009
- S. Y. Huang, and Y. H. Lee, “A compact E-shaped patterned ground structure and its applications to tunable bandstop resonator,” IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 57, no. 3, pp. 657-666, Mar., 2009
- S. Y. Huang, and Y. H. Lee, “Compact U-shaped dual planar EBG microstrip lowpass filter,” IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 53, no. 12, pp. 3799-3805, Dec., 2005
- S. Y. Huang, and Y. H. Lee, “Tapered dual-plane compact electromagnetic band-gap microstrip filter structures,” IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 53, no. 9, pp. 2656-2664, Sept., 2005
For more details, please find them at http://people.sutd.edu.sg/~huangshaoying/publications/.
Last Modified: October 3, 2015
Looking for PhD students (PhD scholarship available) who are passionate for doing research in the areas of eletromagnetics for biomedical applications.
Post-Doc Positions are available
- MRI hardware
- MRI image recon
- SUTD-MIT fellowships
Please find more details here or email Shaoying for more discussions.
- Physics II (term 2)
- Electromagnetics & Applications (EPD, term 5)
- Faculty in-charge of IEEE-Eta Kappa Nu student chapter at SUTD
- Executive Committee Member of
- IEEE Singapore Section
- ISMRM Singapore Section