- Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- PhD (Engineering Systems, 2010); SM (Technology & Policy, 2006)
- Tsinghua University
- MS (Automotive Engineering, 2004); BE (Thermal Engineering, 2001)
- Big Data for Innovation
- Concept Generation Methods
- Complex Systems and Network Analysis
- Technology Entrepreneurship
- Entrepreneurship (Undergrad, SUTD) >>> www.tech-entrepreneurship.com
- Entrepreneurship (Undergrad, NYU)
- Entrepreneurship (Graduate, NYU)
- Introduction to Design (Undergrad, SUTD)
- Modeling a Systems World (Undergrad, SUTD)
- High-Tech Entrepreneurship (Executive, NYU)
- Managing Technological Change and Innovation (Graduate, NYU)
Awards & Honors
- SG Good Design Mark, Singapore Design Business Chamber, 2017
- Finalist, Richard R. Nelson Prize, 2016
- Best Paper Award, Academy of Innovation and Entrepreneurship, Sydney, Australia, 2016
- Best Poster Award, International Conference on Complex Systems, Phoenix, Arizona, 2015
- “Reviewers’ Favourite” Paper Award, International Conference on Engineering Design, Milan, Italy, 2015
- “Reviewers’ Favourite” Paper Award, International Conference on Engineering Design, Seoul, Korea, 2013
- “Editor’s Choice“, Industrial and Corporate Change, 2012
- Best Dissertation Award (Runner-Up), INFORMS Technology, Innovation Management and Entrepreneurship Section, 2011
- Best Paper Award (2nd Place), Annual Conference of Chinese Scholars Association in Management Science & Engineering, 2010
- Alfred A.H. Keil Fellowship for Wiser Uses of Science and Technology, 2004
- China International Marine Containers (Group) Scholarship, 2003
- Mercedes-Benz Scholarship, 2002
- Ministry of Education (Singapore) Academic Research Fund (AcRF) Tier 2
- SUTD-MIT International Design Centre
- SUTD-ZJU Collaboration Grant
- SUTD Pedagogy Innovation Grant
- National Collegiate Inventors and Innovators Alliance (USA)
- International Motor Vehicle Program (USA)
Research Group Members
- Dr. Jeffrey Alstott, MIT-SUTD Postdoc Fellow (PhD in Network Analysis, University of Cambridge, UK)
- Dr. Bowen Yan, Postdoc Fellow (PhD in Computer Science, University of Bristol, UK)
- Dr. Srinivasan Venkataraman (PhD in Engineering Design, Indian Institute of Science)
- Serhad Sarica, PhD Sstudent (B.S. and M.S. in Electrical & Electronic, Middle East Technical University, Turkey)
- Bingyang Song, PhD Student (B.S. and M.S. in Automotive Eng., Tsinghua University, China)
- Yuejun He, PhD Student (B.S. in Information & Communication Eng., Zhejiang University, China)
- Isabell Essien, MIT-SUTD Dual Masters Student (BA in Design Goldsmiths, University of London, UK)
- Ke Shu, Human-Computer Interaction Designer (M.S. in Information Systems, SMU)
- Dr. Giorgio Triulzi, Postdoc Fellow at Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Dr. Chaoyang Song, Assistant Professor at Monash University
- Bangqi Yin, Founder and CEO of RiseWinter Technology Pte. Ltd.
- Jianxi Luo (In Press) System-of-Systems Innovation: Proactive Methods for Conception and Strategies for Implementation. Journal of Enterprise Transformation.
- Binyang Song, Srinivasan Venkataraman, Jianxi Luo (In Press) Patent Stimuli Search and its Influence on Ideation Outcomes. Design Science.
- Jianxi Luo (In Press) Architecture and Evolvability of Innovation Ecosystems. Technology Forecasting and Social Change [Link]
- Yuejun He, Jianxi Luo (2017) The Novelty “Sweet Spot” of Invention. Design Science, 3, e21 [Link]
- Jeffrey Alstott, Giorgio Triulzi, Bowen Yan, Jianxi Luo (2017) Inventors’ Explorations Across Technology Domains. Design Science, 3, e20 [Link]
- Jianxi Luo, Bowen Yan, Kristin Wood (In Press) InnoGPS for Data-Driven Exploration of Design Opportunities and Directions: the Case of Google Driverless Car Project. Journal of Mechanical Design, 139(11), 111416 [Link]
- Binyang Song, Jianxi Luo (In Press) Mining Patent Precedents for Data-driven Design: The Case of Spherical Rolling Robots. Journal of Mechanical Design, 139(11), 111420 [Link]
- Jianxi Luo, Kristin Wood (2017) The Growing Complexity in Invention Process. Research in Engineering Design, 28(4), 421-435 [Link]
- Bowen Yan, Jianxi Luo (2017) Filtering Patent Maps for Visualization of Diversification Paths of Inventors and Organizations. Journal of the Association for Information Science and Technology, 68(6), 1551–1563 [Link]
- Jeffrey Alstott, Giorgio Triulzi, Bowen Yan, Jianxi Luo (2017) Mapping Technology Space by Normalizing Technology Relatedness Networks. Scientometrics, 110(1), 443-479 [Link]
- Bowen Yan, Jianxi Luo (2017) Measuring Technological Distance for Patent Mapping. Journal of the Association for Information Science and Technology, 68(2), 423–437 [Link]
- Jianxi Luo (2015) The United Innovation Process: Integrating Science, Design and Entrepreneurship as Sub-Processes, Design Science, 1, e2 [Link]
- Jeffrey Funk, Jianxi Luo (2015) Vertical disintegration and entrepreneurial opportunities: how vertically specialised firms entered the U.S. semiconductor industry, Technovation, 45/46, 52-62 [Link]
- Jianxi Luo (2015) A simulation-based method to evaluate the impact of product architecture on product evolvability. Research in Engineering Design, 26: 355–371 [Link]
- Jianxi Luo, Alison L. Olechowski, Christopher L. Magee (2014) Technology-based design and sustainable economic growth. Technovation, 34(11), 663-677. [Link]
- Jianxi Luo (2014) Loops and autonomy promote evolvability of ecosystem networks. Scientific Reports, 4: 6440. [Link].
- Jianxi Luo (2013) Power-of-pull of economic sectors: A complex network analysis. Complexity, 18(5), 37–47.
- Jianxi Luo, Carliss Y. Baldwin, Daniel E. Whitney, Christopher L. Magee (2012) The architecture of transaction networks: A comparative analysis of hierarchy in two sectors. Industrial and Corporate Change. 21(6), 1307-1335. [Link]
- Jianxi Luo and Christopher L. Magee (2011) Detecting evolving patterns of self-organizing networks by flow hierarchy measurement. Complexity, 16(6), 53-61. [Link]
- Matthias Holweg, Jianxi Luo, Nick Oliver (2009) The past, present and future of China’s automotive industry: A value chain perspective. Journal of Technological Learning, Innovation and Development, 2(1/2), 76-118.
- James Winebrake, Sandra Rothenberg, Jianxi Luo, Erin Green (2008) Automotive transportation in China: Technology, policy, market dynamics, and sustainability. Journal of Sustainable Transportation, 2(4), 213-233.
Selected Conference Papers
- Chaoyang Song, Jianxi Luo, Katja Otto, Warren Seering, Kevin Otto (2015) Risk and innovation balance in crowdfunding new products. Proceedings of 21th International Conference on Engineering Design. Reviewer’s Favourite Award
- Victor Tang, Jianxi Luo (2013) Idea matrix and creativity operators. Proceedings of 19th International Conference on Engineering Design.
- Katja Hölttä-Otto, Kevin Otto, Jianxi Luo (2013) Innovation differences between new ventures and incumbent firms. Proceedings of 19th International Conference on Engineering Design. Reviewer’s Favourite Award
Early Mechanical and Automotive Engineering Publications
- Yangjun Zhang, Minggao Ouyang, Qingchun Lu, Jianxi Luo, Xihao Li (2004) A model predicting performance of proton exchange membrane fuel cell stack thermal systems, Applied Thermal Engineering, 24(4), 501~513.
- Yangjun Zhang, Minggao Ouyang, Jianxi Luo, Zhao Zhang, Yongjun Wang (2003) Mathematical modeling of vehicle fuel cell power system thermal management. SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1146, doi:10.4271/2003-01-114.
- Jianxi Luo, Yangjun Zhang (2004) Influences of thermostat on engine thermal system transient performance, Journal of Tsinghua Science and Technology, 44(5), 701~704.
- Jianxi Luo, Yangjun Zhang, Baoning Zhang (2003) Numerical simulation of separated flow via 2d hybrid grid technique, Power Engineering, 23(1): 2240~2244.
- Jianxi Luo, Zhangsong Zhan, Yangjun Zhang (2003) Numerical investigation on complex flow field under vehicle, Automotive Engineering, 25(4), 330~334
- Jianxi Luo, Yangjun Zhang, Shangrong Tu (2003) Thermal management system design for fuel cell engine experiments, Vehicle Engine, 2003(4), 32~34.
- Baoning Zhang, Yangjun Zhang, Qingguo Meng, Jianxi Luo (2002) Criterion of three-dimensional flow separation with rotation effects, Journal of Tsinghua Science and Technology, 42(2), 254~257.
- Jianxi Luo was born in Chongqing, China, and holds degrees in mechanical engineering from Tsinghua University in Beijing and engineering systems from MIT in Cambridge, MA. He is currently assistant professor of engineering product development at Singapore University of Technology and Design (SUTD), where he leads the Data-Driven Innovation Lab. He is also associate director of the SUTD Technology Entrepreneurship Programme (STEP). Prof. Luo has a strong passion for design, innovation and entrepreneurship in research, teaching and practice. His research applies system theories and network analysis methods to designing products, processes and ecosystems for better chances of innovation. Recent research focuses on developing scientific principles and a data-driven decision support system for concept generation and direction-finding for innovation. He teaches courses on “entrepreneurship”, “innovation”, and “design”, to undergraduate, graduate and executive students from diverse backgrounds. In practice, he was a (co-)founder of several start-ups in the United States. Prior to joining SUTD, he was a faculty member at the Tandon School of Engineering of New York University, a visiting scholar at Columbia University in NYC and the University of Cambridge in UK. He is a chair emeritus of the Technology, Innovation Management and Entrepreneurship Section of INFORMS.
InnoGPS: GPS for Innovation
I am admitting postdoctoral research fellows in the following areas:
- Engineering Design
- Complex Networks
- Innovation and Entrepreneurship
- New Product Development
If interested, please send me your vitae.
I am admitting PhD students who combine the following academic backgrounds and experiences:
- Engineering Design and Innovation Research
- Data Sciences (Statistics, Probability, Computer Science)
- Complex Networks
- System Engineering
- Entrepreneurship Experiences
If interested, please send me your vitae.