Pillar / Cluster: Engineering Product Development
Jianxi Luo is a tenured Associate Professor with the Singapore University of Technology and Design, and directs the Data-Driven Innovation Lab (http://ddi.sutd.edu.sg). He holds B.E. and M.S. degrees in engineering from Tsinghua University, and S.M. degree in Technology Policy and a PhD degree in Engineering Systems from Massachusetts Institute of Technology. He has won more than a dozen international research awards. His research develops innovation theories, methods and tools, and is lately focused on Design Artificial Intelligence. He had been a faculty member at New York University, visiting scholar at Columbia University and the University of Cambridge, Chair of INFORMS Technology Innovation Management & Entrepreneurship Section. He is a co-founder of several startups in the United States and Singapore, innovation consultant, public speaker, and advisor for startups, venture capitals and incubators in Singapore, China, the U.S. and other countries.
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA)
- PhD (Engineering Systems, 2010);
- SM (Technology Policy, 2006)
- Tsinghua University (Beijing, China)
- MS (Mobility & Vehicle Engineering, 2004);
- BE (Energy & Power Engineering, 2001)
- Design Artificial Intelligence
- Machine Learning & Artificial Intelligence in Design and Innovation
- Complex Networks, Graph Theory, System Theory
- Entrepreneurship (Undergrad, SUTD)
My approach to entrepreneurship education
- Entrepreneurship (Undergrad, NYU)
- Entrepreneurship (Graduate, NYU)
- Introduction to Design (Undergrad, SUTD)
- Modeling a Systems World (Undergrad, SUTD)
- High-Tech Entrepreneurship (Executive, NYU)
- Managing Technological Change and Innovation (Graduate, NYU)
Awards & Honors
- Best Paper Award, in Design Theory & Methodology, International Design Engineering Technical Conferences / Computers and Information in Engineering Conference (IDETC/CIE), Anaheim, California, 2019
- Innovative Applications in Analytics Award Finalist, Sponsored by Caterpillar, INFORMS Analytics Conference, Austin, TX, 2019
- Best Paper Award Nomination, Hawaii International Conference on System Science (HICSS), Hawaii, HI, 2019
- Excellence in Research Award, Singapore University of Technology & Design, 2018
- SG Good Design Mark, Singapore Design Business Chamber, 2017
- Richard R. Nelson Prize Finalist, 2016
- Best Paper Award, Academy of Innovation and Entrepreneurship, Sydney, Australia, 2016
- Best Poster Award, International Conference on Complex Systems, Phoenix, AZ, 2015
- “Reviewers’ Favourite” Paper Award, International Conference on Engineering Design, Milan, Italy, 2015
- “Reviewers’ Favourite” Paper Award, International Conference on Engineering Design, Seoul, Korea, 2013
- “Editor’s Choice“, Industrial and Corporate Change, 2012
- Best Dissertation Award (Runner-Up), INFORMS Technology, Innovation Management and Entrepreneurship Section, 2011
- Best Paper Award (2nd Place), Annual Conference of Chinese Scholars Association in Management Science & Engineering, 2010
- Alfred A.H. Keil Fellowship for Wiser Uses of Science and Technology, 2004
- China International Marine Containers (Group) Scholarship, 2003
- Mercedes-Benz Scholarship, 2002
- Ministry of Education (Singapore)
- AI Singapore
- SUTD-MIT International Design Centre
- National Collegiate Inventors and Innovators Alliance (USA)
- International Motor Vehicle Program (USA)
Selected Journal Publications
-  Serhad Sarica, Jianxi Luo, Kristin Wood (In Press) TechNet: Technology Semantic Network. Expert Systems with Applications >>
-  Serhad Sarica, Bowen Yan, Jianxi Luo (In Press) Data-Driven Intelligence on Innovation and Competition: Patent Overlay Network Visualization and Analytics. Information System Management >>
-  Bowen Yan, Jianxi Luo (2019) Multicores-Periphery Structure in Networks. Network Science, 7(1), 70-87 >>
-  Yuejun He, Camburn Bradley Adam, Liu Hao Wen, Maria Yang, Kristin Wood (In Press) Mining and Representing the Concept Space of Existing Ideas for Directed Ideation. Journal of Mechanical Design (Special Issue: Machine Learning for Engineering Design)
-  Jianxi Luo, Daniel Whitney (2019) The Hierarchy-Niche Model for Supply Networks. Production & Operations Management, 28(3), 668–681 >>
-  Binyang Song, Giorgio Triulzi, Bowen Yan, Jeffrey Alstott, Jianxi Luo (2019) Overlay Technology Space Map for Analyzing Design Knowledge Base of a Technology Domain: The Case of Hybrid Electric Vehicles. Research in Engineering Design 30(3), 405-423 >>
-  Marakkalage, H., B. Lau, S. Sarica, S. K. Viswanath, T. Balasubramaniam, B. Yuen, Jianxi Luo, R. Nayak, C. Yuen (2019) Understanding the Lifestyle of Older Population in Singapore: Mobile Crowdsensing Approach. IEEE Transactions on Computational Social Systems, 6(1), 82-95 >>
-  Serhad Sarica, Jianxi Luo (In Press) An Infinite Regress Model of Design Change Propagation in Complex Systems. IEEE Systems Journal >>
-  Binyang Song, Jianxi Luo, Kristin Wood (2018) Data-Driven Platform Design: Patent Data and Function Network Analysis. Journal of Mechanical Design, 141(2), 021101 >>
-  Jianxi Luo (2018) Architecture and Evolvability of Innovation Ecosystems. Technology Forecasting and Social Change 136, 132-144 >>
-  Jianxi Luo, Binyang Song, Lucienne Blessing, Kristin Wood (2018) Design Opportunity Conception Using Technology Space Map. Artificial Intelligence for Engineering Design, Analysis and Manufacturing (Special Issue: Design Creativity), 32(4): 449-461 >>
-  Bangqi Yin, Jianxi Luo (2018) How Do Accelerators Select Startups? Shifting Decision Criteria Across Stages. IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management, 65(4), 574-589 >>
-  Srinivasan Venkataraman, Binyang Song, Jianxi Luo, Karupppasamy Subburaj, Mohan Rajesh Elara, Lucienne Blessing, Kristin Wood (2018) Does Analogical Distance Affect Performance of Ideation. Journal of Mechanical Design, 140(7): 071101 >>
-  Katja Hölttä-Otto, Kevin Otto, Chaoyang Song, Jianxi Luo, Timothy Li, Carolyn Seepersad, Warren Seering (2018) The Characteristics of Innovative Mechanical Products – 10 Years Later. Journal of Mechanical Design,140(8): 084501 >>
-  Jianxi Luo, Giorgio Triulzi (2018) Cyclic Dependence, Vertical Integration, and Innovation: The Case of Japanese Electronics Sector in the 1990s. Technology Forecasting and Social Change, 132, 46-55 >>
-  Jianxi Luo (2018) System-of-Systems Innovation: Proactive Methods for Conception and Strategies for Implementation. Journal of Enterprise Transformation, 8(1) >>
-  Margaret Dalziel, Xiangyang Yang, Simon Breslav, Azam Khan, Jianxi Luo (2018) Can we design an industry classification system that reflects industry architecture. Journal of Enterprise Transformation, 8(2) >>
-  Binyang Song, Srinivasan Venkataraman, Jianxi Luo (2017) Patent Stimuli Search and its Influence on Ideation Outcomes. Design Science (Special Collection: Network-Based Modeling and Analysis in Design), 3, e25 >>
-  Yuejun He, Jianxi Luo (2017) The Novelty “Sweet Spot” of Invention. Design Science, 3, e21 >>
-  Jeffrey Alstott, Giorgio Triulzi, Bowen Yan, Jianxi Luo (2017) Inventors’ Explorations Across Technology Domains. Design Science, 3, e20 >>
-  Jianxi Luo, Bowen Yan, Kristin Wood (2017) InnoGPS for Data-Driven Exploration of Design Opportunities and Directions: the Case of Google Driverless Car Project. Journal of Mechanical Design (Special Issue: Data-Driven Design), 139(11), 111416 >>
-  Binyang Song, Jianxi Luo (2017) Mining Patent Precedents for Data-driven Design: The Case of Spherical Rolling Robots. Journal of Mechanical Design (Special Issue: Data-Driven Design), 139(11), 111420 >>
-  Jianxi Luo, Kristin Wood (2017) The Growing Complexity in Invention Process. Research in Engineering Design, 28(4), 421-435 >>
-  Bowen Yan, Jianxi Luo (2017) Filtering Patent Maps for Visualization of Diversification Paths of Inventors and Organizations. Journal of the Association for Information Science and Technology, 68(6), 1551–1563 >>
-  Bowen Yan, Jianxi Luo (2017) Measuring Technological Distance for Patent Mapping. Journal of the Association for Information Science and Technology, 68(2), 423–437 >>
-  Jeffrey Alstott, Giorgio Triulzi, Bowen Yan, Jianxi Luo (2017) Mapping Technology Space by Normalizing Technology Relatedness Networks. Scientometrics, 110(1), 443-479 >>
-  Jianxi Luo (2015) The United Innovation Process: Integrating Science, Design and Entrepreneurship as Sub-Processes, Design Science, 1, e2 >>
-  Jeffrey Funk, Jianxi Luo (2015) Vertical disintegration and entrepreneurial opportunities: how vertically specialised firms entered the U.S. semiconductor industry, Technovation, 45/46, 52-62 >>
-  Jianxi Luo (2015) A simulation-based method to evaluate the impact of product architecture on product evolvability. Research in Engineering Design, 26: 355–371 >>
-  Jianxi Luo, Alison L. Olechowski, Christopher L. Magee (2014) Technology-based design and sustainable economic growth. Technovation, 34(11), 663-677 >>
-  Jianxi Luo (2014) Loops and autonomy promote evolvability of ecosystem networks. Scientific Reports, 4: 6440 >>
-  Jianxi Luo (2013) Power-of-pull of economic sectors: A complex network analysis. Complexity, 18(5), 37–47 >>
-  Daniel E. Whitney, Jianxi Luo, Daniel A. Heller (2014) The benefits and constraints of temporary sourcing diversification in supply chain disruption and recovery. Journal of Purchasing & Supply Management 20(4), 238-250.
-  Jianxi Luo, Carliss Y. Baldwin, Daniel E. Whitney, Christopher L. Magee (2012) The architecture of transaction networks: A comparative analysis of hierarchy in two sectors. Industrial and Corporate Change. 21(6), 1307-1335 >>
-  Jianxi Luo and Christopher L. Magee (2011) Detecting evolving patterns of self-organizing networks by flow hierarchy measurement. Complexity, 16(6), 53-61. >>
-  Matthias Holweg, Jianxi Luo, Nick Oliver (2009) The past, present and future of China’s automotive industry: A value chain perspective. Journal of Technological Learning, Innovation and Development, 2(1/2), 76-118.
-  James Winebrake, Sandra Rothenberg, Jianxi Luo, Erin Green (2008) Automotive transportation in China: Technology, policy, market dynamics, and sustainability. Journal of Sustainable Transportation, 2(4), 213-233.
-  Yangjun Zhang, Minggao Ouyang, Qingchun Lu, Jianxi Luo, Xihao Li (2004) A model predicting performance of proton exchange membrane fuel cell stack thermal systems, Applied Thermal Engineering, 24(4), 501~513.
-  Yangjun Zhang, Minggao Ouyang, Jianxi Luo, Zhao Zhang, Yongjun Wang (2003) Mathematical modeling of vehicle fuel cell power system thermal management. SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1146, doi:10.4271/2003-01-114.
-  Jianxi Luo, Yangjun Zhang (2004) Influences of thermostat on engine thermal system transient performance, Journal of Tsinghua Science and Technology, 44(5), 701~704.
-  Jianxi Luo, Yangjun Zhang, Baoning Zhang (2003) Numerical simulation of separated flow via 2d hybrid grid technique, Power Engineering, 23(1): 2240~2244.
-  Jianxi Luo, Zhangsong Zhan, Yangjun Zhang (2003) Numerical investigation on complex flow field under vehicle, Automotive Engineering, 25(4), 330~334
-  Jianxi Luo, Yangjun Zhang, Shangrong Tu (2003) Thermal management system design for fuel cell engine experiments, Vehicle Engine, 2003(4), 32~34.
-  Baoning Zhang, Yangjun Zhang, Qingguo Meng, Jianxi Luo (2002) Criterion of three-dimensional flow separation with rotation effects, Journal of Tsinghua Science and Technology, 42(2), 254~257.
PhD Student and Postdoc Fellow Openings
I am always open to welcome new applicants. Please directly send me your CV and research interests via email. More info about the SUTD PhD Fellowships can be found here.
Job Opening (Web Developer)
We look for a full time web master with full stack web development experiences to optimize and maintain the cloud-based systems that our students and researchers have developed from the research at Data-Driven Innovation Lab at SUTD.