Soh Gim Song
Telephone: +65 6303 6679
Human-Machine Interfaces, Robotics, Automation & Control,Mechanical Engineering
Pillar / Cluster: Engineering Product Development
Dr. Soh Gim Song is an Assistant Professor in the Engineering Product Development Pillar at Singapore University of Technology and Design. He is a core founding member of the Robotics Innovation Laboratory and the director of the Articulated Systems and Biomechanics group. He obtained his MSc and PhD degree from University of California, Irvine (UCI), where he researched and developed innovative computer aided design software tools for the invention of articulated mechanical systems. He had taught courses in the field of machine theory, computer aided design and manufacturing as well as engineering design processes. He was a visiting Scholar in the department of Mechanical Engineering of MIT and Associate Research Scientist at the Singapore Institute of Manufacturing Technology. Currently, he is serving on the ASME Mechanism and Robotics Committee, the IFToMM Technical Committee for Robotics and Mechatronics, and the Chairperson of Singapore Committee for the Technologies of Machines and Mechanisms.
For details on my publications, see
- Assistant Professor, Singapore University of Technology and Design, 06/11 – present
- Visiting Scholar, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 08/11-06/12
- Associate Research Scientist, Singapore Institute of Manufacturing Technology, 12/10 – 06/11
- Executive Assistant, E.M. Chen and Associates, Inc., 05/09 – 11/10
- Research Specialist, Robotics and Automation Laboratory, University of California, Irvine, 01/09 – 04/09
- Lecturer, Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, University of California, Irvine, 06/08 – 08/08
- Research/Teaching Assistant, Robotics and Automation Laboratory, University of California, Irvine, 06/04 – 12/08
- Research Officer, Singapore Institute of Manufacturing Technology, 06/03 – 08/04
- Method and Device for Measuring Anatomical Movement of a Joint. SG PCT: 10201810156P
- Robot and Method for Localizing a Robot. US Patent: 15/655,451
Selected Honors and Awards
2018 ASME IDETC Mechanism and Robotics (MR) Conference Best Paper Award.
- 2017 Singapore Good Design Mark Award, “Virgo Intelligent Surveillance and Reconnaissance Robot”.
- 2007 Most Innovative Design Award, Extreme Gravity Racing, “Kumo”.
- 2006 Most Innovative Design Award, Extreme Gravity Racing, “Lean Dynamics”.
8 Somapah Road Singapore 487372
- Wearable Devices
- Terrestrial Robots
- Translational Robotics
My co-authored book published on 2010:
Visit the Articulated Systems and Biomechanics Group for more information.
- 30.105 Machine Element Design
- 30.001: Structures and Materials
- PhD Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, University of California, Irvine, USA, 2008
- MSc Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, University of California, Irvine, USA, 2006
- BEng Mechanical and Production Engineering (Mechatronics), Nanyang Technological University, Singapore, 2003