U-Xuan has been with Singapore University of Technology and Design since 2012 where he is designing an algorithm for design of compliant mechanism. He is also actively involved in designing pedagogy and activities that enable students to learn better. Prior to that, he conducted his post-doctorate research with Professor Jaydev Desai at University of Maryland, College Park, where he designed an MRI-compatible robotic system for breast biopsy. In addition, he managed to develop both a tri-axial MRI compatible fiber-optic force sensor and a miniature capacitive force sensor for catheters.
He earned his Ph.D. in Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering from Nanyang Technological University under the advice of Assoc. Professor Wei Tech Ang and his Ph.D. was on design and control of piezoelectric-driven handheld manipulator for tremor compensation in microsurgery. Along the way, he also managed to perform clinical trials and commercialize a balancer trainer that he designed.
- PhD, School of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore, 2010
- BEng, School of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore, 2005
- Medical & Surgical Devices
- Precision for environment with disturbance
- Sensing algorithms
- Compliant mechanism design
- Interdisciplinary teaching
Please refer to the website for more details.
Selected Refereed Journals
- B. Yang, S. Roys, U-X. Tan, M. Philip, H. Richard, R. Gullapalli, and J. P. Desai, “Design, development, and evaluation of a master-slave surgical system for breast biopsy under continuous MRI,” The International Journal of Robotics Research, 2013 (in press).
- U-X. Tan, B. Yang, R. Gullapalli, J. P. Desai, “Tri-Axial MRI Compatible Fiber-optic Force Sensor,” IEEE Transactions on Robotics, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 65-74, Feb., 2011.
- B. Yang, U-X. Tan, A. McMillan, R. Gullapalli, and J. P. Desai, “Design and Control of a 1-DOF MRI Compatible Pneumatically Actuated Robot with Long Transmission Lines,” IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 1040-1048, 2010.
- U-X. Tan, W. T. Latt, C. Y. Shee, and W. T. Ang, “A Low-cost Flexure-based Handheld Mechanism for Micromanipulation,” IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 773-778, Aug., 2011.
- W. T. Latt, U-X. Tan, C. Y. Shee, C. N. Riviere, and W. T. Ang, “Compact Sensing Design of a Hand-held Active Tremor Compensation Instrument,” IEEE Sensors Journal, vol. 12, no. 9, pp. 1864-1871, Dec., 2009.
- U-X. Tan, W. T. Latt, C. Y. Shee, C. N. Riviere, and W. T. Ang, “Feedforward Controller of Ill-Conditioned Hysteresis using Singularity-Free Prandtl-Ishlinskii Model,” IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 598-605, Oct., 2009.
- U-X. Tan, W. T. Latt, F. Widjaja, C. Y. Shee, C. N. Riviere, and W. T. Ang, “Tracking Control of Hysteretic Piezoelectric Actuator using Adaptive Rate-Dependent Controller,” Sensors and Actuators A: Physical, vol. 150, no. 1, pp. 116-123, Mar., 2009.
- W. T. Ang, U-X. Tan, H. G. Tan, T. Myo, C. K. Ng, K. L. Koh, and B. S. Cheam, “Design & Development of a Novel Balancer with variable difficulty for Training and Evaluation,” Disability & Rehabilitation: Assistive Technology, vol. 3, pp. 325-331, 2008.
- U-X. Tan, K. C. Veluvolu, W. T. Latt, C. Y. Shee, C. N. Riviere, and W. T. Ang, “Estimating Displacement of Periodic Motion with Inertial Sensors,” IEEE Sensors Journal, vol. 8, no. 8, pp. 1385-1388, Aug., 2008.